S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

My head is very close to the roll bar

Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by austincrx
SIRBIKEALOT7, those look like some pretty sketchy mounts! you should be bolting those to the floor directly, and you need a 4x4" plate on the underside of the car to act as a 'washer' to keep the bolts from pulling through the car in an accident. the factory mounting locations are really strong, but with that bent metal welded to the mounts you're giving a lot of room for flex in an accident. You could end up with a seat that is pointing you diagonally towards the driver's side mirror, or worse. I would think about changing the seat mounts, no one wants to crash, but EVERYONE wants to walk away from one. I'd also use high grade bolts to mount to the floor, and you don't need to buy the special seat mounting plates from G-Force or wherever, just go to Lowe's and get some 1/16" (there abouts) thick steel and use that for a washer. Cut it so you can use 1 long rectangle one either side of the mounts and put two holes in it, and round the edges, etc. Account for any non-flat areas under the car, where you're mounting the seat (if I remember correctly the portion of the under-car near the transmission tunnel isn't completely flat and you may need to drill a very short slot to get the plat to fit).

Sorry to hijack.
I know they don't look pretty but they are strong, they are mounted through the oem mounts with oem bolts except for the inside rear, which has a 3/16" G force backing plate. They mounts are strong and don't move a bit. That is not finish welded, and like I said I ran out of gas midway through hence the discoloring. 3/16" mild steel is the safety standard for seat mounts, also since they are bent they have move torsional stiffness than a standard flat bar. That being said, when I cage the car this winter, I'll integrate seat mounts in the cage and do it the right way, this is the best I can do to fit with my seats and the Ballade roll bar. Thanks for your concern though.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The broomstick test is a pretty good indicator on whether you are "ok" on clearance. Some of the pictures look like your head is above your bar when you are leaning forward to avoid it being "on" the bar. Leading me to believe you'd fail the broomstick test which is pretty rudimentary and simple to do at home by placing a broomstick from the top of the bar to the top of the windshield directly above your head....if you touch it fails.

Now as for the seat mounting....i'm 6'3" or 6'4" and weigh in the realm of 250 or so 260, not a small human by any stretch. I drilled the factory mounts out of my car and mounted my seat directly to the floor gave me quite a bit more room. Might not be an option for all, but might be something to look at.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:35 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by justin3
The broomstick test is a pretty good indicator on whether you are "ok" on clearance. Some of the pictures look like your head is above your bar when you are leaning forward to avoid it being "on" the bar. Leading me to believe you'd fail the broomstick test which is pretty rudimentary and simple to do at home by placing a broomstick from the top of the bar to the top of the windshield directly above your head....if you touch it fails.

Now as for the seat mounting....i'm 6'3" or 6'4" and weigh in the realm of 250 or so 260, not a small human by any stretch. I drilled the factory mounts out of my car and mounted my seat directly to the floor gave me quite a bit more room. Might not be an option for all, but might be something to look at.
I'm becoming tempted to remove the OEM seat mounts, but there's no going back on that, and I'm not sure how much it will really help because my seat sets just in front of the rear ones.