S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Shop to Re-Valve KW V3?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:41 PM
TWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe we have to send Rob to test it on some airport before going to Summit with all those tree's
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

First washer there has small notch which is bleed
Does the entire adjustable slow speed rebound circuit flow through that tiny notch?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Now if you could also figure out how to successfully shorten the shock body for us guys that run fairly low that'd be awesome! Mostly the rears. That is also one of the only things that makes me not want to get another set of KWs
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM
TWF

No, your needle does that. It flows through shaft itself from one side of valve to other, bypassing valve all together.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 PM
TWF

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Now if you could also figure out how to successfully shorten the shock body for us guys that run fairly low that'd be awesome! Mostly the rears. That is also one of the only things that makes me not want to get another set of KWs
How much you talking about? There are 2 plastic washers behind valve (see pic) which you can take out or add. It would shorten or lengthen free length of shock and stroke.
Could also cut bottom clevis and reweld it. Shortening shock body is not easy, you got threads and you have to watch for shaft travel.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by TWF
Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1356842821' post='22236400
How much you talking about? There are 2 plastic washers behind valve (see pic) which you can take out or add. It would shorten or lengthen free length of shock and stroke.
Could also cut bottom clevis and reweld it. Shortening shock body is not easy, you got threads and you have to watch for shaft travel.
The plastic washers on the piston rod shorten the full droop length of the shock. Steve wants a shorter shock body so he can lower the rear of the car more and stay off the shock bump stops. To do that I believe you'd have to shorten both the shock body and piston rod. If so it would be very difficult and expensive.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Former Moderator

I have a web page on how the V3 shock works here: http://robrobinette.com/S2000KWV3.htm

It's been edited with the info we have so far from TWF's tear down.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 PM
TWF

Originally Posted by robrob
The plastic washers on the piston rod shorten the full droop length of the shock. Steve wants a shorter shock body so he can lower the rear of the car more and stay off the shock bump stops. To do that I believe you'd have to shorten both the shock body and piston rod. If so it would be very difficult and expensive.
Preload on spring shortens droop, spacer inside does not. More preload you put on spring less droop you get.
If you shorten piston rod with spacer but use same spring preload your shock will compress same amount but you starting with less length. Your car will sit lower and droop will be same but you will hit bumper sooner. Basically you have shorter stroke.
If you shorten body and rod you keep same stroke, as long you don't hit bottom, but may run wheel in to fender. Same with cutting and rewelding clevice, same stroke but less wheel/fender clearance.
In both cases you may need stiffer spring to compensate.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by TWF
Preload on spring shortens droop, spacer inside does not. More preload you put on spring less droop you get.
If you shorten piston rod with spacer but use same spring preload your shock will compress same amount but you starting with less length. Your car will sit lower and droop will be same but you will hit bumper sooner. Basically you have shorter stroke.
If you shorten body and rod you keep same stroke, as long you don't hit bottom, but may run wheel in to fender. Same with cutting and rewelding clevice, same stroke but less wheel/fender clearance.
In both cases you may need stiffer spring to compensate.
I think you're using the motorcycle definition of shock droop, where I was talking about full droop, like when the car's up on stands and the shock is near full extension.

I'm confused here, adding plastic washers or collars to the piston rod above the piston will simply shorten the max extension of the shock, right?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:50 AM
SSS

Originally Posted by TWF
Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1356842821' post='22236400
Would this work ? I'm no engineer but thinking it may.

Quick Reply: Shop to Re-Valve KW V3?