S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

staggered or wing ?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default staggered or wing ?

little background of me ....
about 10 HPDEs in my previous car (2006 GTI front wheel drive) that was an understeer whore
just bought MY05 s2k (proud owner and hope to do the same ... just some open track days once a month nothing more....
Do not have any mods at all BONE STOCK (got alignment at west end CA) all I remember is -2.5 rear camber)
After reading and reading and some searching and then smoking followed by some soul searching and then more reading( you can tell by the time of my post 3:09 am ) I came up with the idea of running either nitto NT01 ( they are in my price range) 225\45\17 front and 255\40\17 rear and call it a day
OR a Non-staggered with either 245 or 255 nittos....
Now my question is : since I am new to rear wheel drive which setup is better and also I read that I need rear wing and stiffer front bar with the non-staggered setup which is kinda hard to buy since I am a poor student
If anyone has a better option please help me out !!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:26 AM

a wing and front bar won't wear out as quickly as tires right?
also, how are you transporting your car to the track? do you trailer or drive it there and back? i think it's a pretty bad investment driving there and back with r comps (depending on your alignment). I have a friend that does that, but he seems pretty well off as far as money goes.

if you run better tires, there's more chance of needing to replace hardware much more often.. generally speaking.

putting on tires and aerodynamics are 2 totally different worlds.
Money wise: If you can buy r comps every 3 track events PLUS say 2~3 months of daily driving, then go for r comps (that's about $800 or more per 3 months OR EVEN LESS TIME. don't forget on top of that you have fuel, alignment, accidents that can happen, flat tire, broken hardware, oil change, tranny oil change, rear diff change, motor problems, food, snacks, alcohol, parties, girlfriend, friends, dinner, tickets, just bunch of crap like that).

You're going to spend atleast $600 on a wing (including tax. beginning with the CR wing. and the apr 300). and then there are the $1300~2000 wings. In 6 months, you will have already spend over $1300 on tires for sure (depending on how often you track and your alignment).

So would you rather have around $1300 last 3 months? or for as long as you keep it?
performance is also an issue but i don't think i am the one to elaborate on the differences between aerodynamics and mechanics. There are much more experienced members that can help you out with that.

money is a big issue.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:39 AM

I think you should tell us how your car feels with the setup you have currently. that would be very easy for us to help you. Tires, suspension, alignment,.. how the car feels in turns, how it feels in high speed corners, how it feels in certain parts of the track etc etc.. AND what you would like to feel & perhaps change.

what made you want to run better tires and get a different hardware setup & a wing?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by gotap2' date='Jan 3 2009, 03:12 AM
followed by some soul searching
u mean myspace / facebook stalking?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say track the car bone stock first and form your own opinion on where you want to go with it from there......It sounds like you have some experince with HPDE.....Tracking the car first will give you a good base line as to what type or level of performance upgrades you require (R-compounds, wing, & swaybars may not be required).

There is plenty of good solid information on here about proven set ups. You just need to sort out what your goals are and move in a direction that suits you best.

That being said.....Each driver is different but its been proven that a non-staggered set up with a wing is the fastest set up (at least for most). Getting to this point with R-Compound tires requires more modifications though.....swaybars and coilovers need to be looked at as now your dramatically increasing the amount of available traction and mechanical grip. Take baby steps on the build / car unless your ready to dump a ton of money and go all out. Buying just one high end piece without all the other supporting modifications may actually do more harm than good.