S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

13 Things We'd Like to See in a New S2000

Old 07-19-2017, 05:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea, most things on this list is more reasons I most likely wouldn't buy a new generation of one if they made it. No more high revving, just turbo 4, prolly going to gain a lot of weight with all the new safety stuff there going to cram in there, and im sure that will be at the sacrifice of performance. And I hate to say it but with whats going on with the Type R with crazy mark ups, I would be scared to see all the crazy mark ups that would happen on a new version of the s2000.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoze
A lot of those things are why they should not make another S2000.
I agree.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Anyone else notice that the newly released Accord is lighter than the previous generation?

The only other car I know of (though, I'm not knowledgeable on many cars) that became lighter is the new Miata ND.

I hope this is the new trend... making new cars lighter and lighter.

And, it also may be a good assumption that the upcoming S2k may (hopefully) become lighter; it not at least a similar weight to the OG.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Anyone else notice that the newly released Accord is lighter than the previous generation?

The only other car I know of (though, I'm not knowledgeable on many cars) that became lighter is the new Miata ND.

I hope this is the new trend... making new cars lighter and lighter.

And, it also may be a good assumption that the upcoming S2k may (hopefully) become lighter; it not at least a similar weight to the OG.
the new 10th SI is lighter by about 100lb compared to the 9th SI.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
the new 10th SI is lighter by about 100lb compared to the 9th SI.
Ahh.. awesome!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I live at 5000 feet, and can feel the loss of power in my S compared to 500 feet.
My 328i howerver feels like it still has its normal power from its turbo 4.
So I'd like a new S to have a turbo engine, perhaps based off the CTR engine.
But I really like my 9k rpm redline, to the point of even being disappointed in the F22C's 8k redline, so I'd want the new S engine to at least rev to 8k rpm with no power drop off.
Tuning an engine to produce power all the way to an 8k redline likely means a relatively significant amount of turbo lag, and my elevation means even more lag (I can tell the 328i has more lag here than at 500 feet.) So I'd like something to compensate for lag. The first thing that comes to mind is a mild hybrid system, one designed solely for turbo lag torque fill.
But I really like the S's light feel, so wouldn't suggest it if it makes the car heavy - 3000 lbs or under would be ideal. Fortunately, it might be possible to put in a system with capability similar to the 2015 Civic Hybrid (23 HP, 78 lb-ft) without much weight penalty - that car was only 2873 lbs after all.
Implementing the hybrid system via a TMU like in the NSX would have some advantages like optimized regen braking and torque vectoring, but I wouldn't want it at the expense of excessive weight.
Another way to do the hybrid is to simply use an MGU-H. That is, hook up an electric motor to the turbo, which also serves as the generator to top off the battery - this doesn't allow for the cars kinetic energy to charge the battery under braking, however.
Finally there's the traditional method of putting the motor between the engine and transmission.
Peak power around 320 to 350 HP.

Stiff bushings for steering box, engine mounts, and suspension. Maximum feel at the expense of NVH is a good thing. Minimal sound deadening.

I'm not personally dead set on a drop top and 6MT. I'd personally go for a fastback with 7spd DCT.

Minimalist imterior. It doesn't need ornate styling - just simple clean functional lines. No big central touch screen, just a simple display for the audio system.

A nice instrument cluster for the driver would be good, though. With the upcoming mandate for rear view cameras, some sort of video display would be needed, so perhaps an OLED cluster. Numeric display for speed, a sweep for tach, shift lights, oil temp, odo, etc.

I'd be happy with either MR or FR layout. Only two seats, of course.

Clean and efficient aero with some downforce, or at least no lift.

I'm not wedded to any specific brake design so long as it works and can withstand a track day weekend. Although it'd be cool if a new S came out as the cheapest car with standard carbon ceramics.

All LED lighting.

i could see three trims being offered. Type R (or CR) for track and performance driving - coupe, DCT, minimal luxuries like AC. A Type S version for fun but not max performance driving - soft top, 6MT, bit more compliant. Finally Grand Touring - high end stereo, auto climate control, quieter, folding hardtop, more weight, DCT, extra interior lighting, heated seats.

Regardless, some things need to be emphasized - response, feedback, agility, excitement.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

"Will it be a sharp muscled overachiever like the original cars, or will it lose its soul and just blend in, like so many other recent Hondas?"

Well if current trends dictate, it will be the latter. Fortunately for us, Honda overachieved building the original S2000, and unfortunately, its going to make a replacement nearly impossible to improve upon from an enthusiast perspective. Lets face it, this car unlike the majority of them out there, is majority owned by enthusiast, and the heart and soul and details matter.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 07-22-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:41 AM

Where's Shigeru Uehara when you need him?