S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Brake Pads

Old 03-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Fer Chrissakes don't get Hawk HPS pads.

I got *less* bite on the street and a mushier pedal feel than stock, and at the track they were absolutely unusable. After about a lap and a half, I had to start downshifting way early and relying heavily on engine-braking to get the car whoa'd. The pedal just went way soft. I bled the brakes, no improvement. After three times out on these junk pads, they were totally gone. I swapped the pads that were on the car when I bought it back in, and lo and behold, I got some semblance of BRAKING power again!

Perhaps I got some HPS pads from a bad batch, but they were by far the worst pads I've ever experienced at the track, far worse than stock pads (which aren't really up to serious track use).
Old 03-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

FWIW, I've gotten good usage using AP1 pads (didnt' know there was a difference, ordered '01 pads from Majestic) on the street, and they even survived two days' abuse at nhms (not recommended for track use!).
Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

i am skeptical about the hawks as well,....the reviews are too much hit or miss. love it or hate it sorta thing.
i am not understanding how people say oem is the best for the street because in my opinion they dust like hell. You wash you car and by the time you drive anywhere, your rims are dirty again.....plus i dont think they have the "bite" people desire. sure, they stop the car but i dont have any confidence going through the mountains with them, at least around my area. its possible that people who say they are great for the street, only drive it as a daily driver and dont get frisky with it. maybe the oem pads are really just hit or miss as well......?????
Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Changed from OEM AP1 pads to OEM AP2 pads and this has been my experience:

1) AP2 pads emit way more dust, no question about it.
2) AP2 pads have less initial bite.
3) AP2 pads make the brake pedal feel softer (goes back to less initial bite).
4) AP2 pads do not do as well on a track day, they overheat much easier.
5) AP2 pads are likely less to cause less wear on the rotor given their softer, slightly lower temperature compound.
6) Also of note, the car magazines have published 60-0 or 70-0 numbers that are several feet longer than with the AP1. Of course this could be caused by many factors including a difference in tires (and wheel sizes), suspension changes, changes in the road surface, or differences in ambient temperature.

Cost is essentially the same for either AP1 or AP2 pads. My question is, why would Honda change the compound when the AP2 was released in 2004? The only answers I could come up with are:

1) With less initial bite, those that have little experience with a RWD car are less likely to grab too much initial braking and spin the car, particularly in wet conditions. I think this because Honda claimed more corner control (although they claimed it was mostly from changes in the suspension) with the AP2.

2) Possibly it was something to do with the softer pads working better with the ABS system or later with the traction control system that was added in 2006.

Next pad change I'm going back to AP1 pads as I feel they just worked better for me. I'm not even sure the AP1 pads are still available.