S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: What should i do for winter driving?
Keep your S/C S2k and get a AWD DD for 6 months a year
75.29%
Sell The S2k and get a 2011 STI sedan and someday get another s2k.
24.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Bye Bye S2k! Hellow STI?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, the STI is more fun to drive than a regular wrx...
Did you know that the 2011 base WRX is faster than the base STI 1/4 mile? I think the only big difference between the 2 models is the DCCD/beefier tranny which, from what I hear, is meaningless unless you are seriously modding/tuning the vehicle. I've never owned a 2011 WRX but the track times between the 2 models are pretty jarring. It looks like it is a $9000 premium for an STI badge.

On topic, I voted to keep the S and would add to look at the base WRX model if not modding/tuning it.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM

I recenty purchased my second S2K, the fact that you are pondering buying another one someday should tell you not to sell the one you already have. I missed mine soon after it was gone.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by DDragon22
Yea, the STI is more fun to drive than a regular wrx...
Did you know that the 2011 base WRX is faster than the base STI 1/4 mile? I think the only big difference between the 2 models is the DCCD/beefier tranny which, from what I hear, is meaningless unless you are seriously modding/tuning the vehicle. I've never owned a 2011 WRX but the track times between the 2 models are pretty jarring. It looks like it is a $9000 premium for an STI badge.

On topic, I voted to keep the S and would add to look at the base WRX model if not modding/tuning it.
WRX is only slightly faster in a straight line because of the gearing. On a regular track with turns, stock for stock STI beats the WRX always. They are both fun to drive in their own ways but very different cars in the end.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

You'll be back. I had a highly modded 04 WRX and sold it an s2000. I had my ap2 for almost 2 years before thinking I wanted another more practical car. I ended up getting a Sti that was already stg2. Much faster than the s2k but definitely lacked the fun factor. That car only made it 6 months before I had sold it and bought another s2000. I was actually ready to sell it within a month or two but figured I'd give it some time for a fair chance.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:29 PM

WRX is only slightly faster in a straight line because of the gearing. On a regular track with turns, stock for stock STI beats the WRX always. They are both fun to drive in their own ways but very different cars in the end.
It was my understanding that the only suspension difference was a slightly stiffer spring and more rigid sway bars. From what I remember, the traction gain was minimal. I don't know if calling the STI 'very different' from a base WRX would be accurate. The base WRX seems less different from an STI than a base S is from a CR. Oh, but I guess you get shinny BBS wheels, if that's your thing. It just seems difficult to justify a huge premium for the STI when the base is already very appealing and rather similar. It might be fun to put that $9000 STI premium into a base WRX and see which wins.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep the s2k, get some mid 90's 4wd 4runner for the winter duties
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in PA and have a 99 Impreza for the winter. Keep the S!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

I had an 09 GRB STI, biggest mistake ever... I bought it as my do everything car. At the end of the day, it was do everything half-assed car.

I ended up keeping my 1999 GMC sierra (4x4) for all of my raining day and snowboard trip days (I get about 25+ days a year), and got an S2K for my DD and track car.

At the end of the day, the truck got used 90% of the time for the mountains. It was better suited with the tires, it was old where if i hit something or something hit me i wouldn't care - it had the right kind of tires (not summer radials), and it could hold a ton more gear.

For DD, the S2k gets better gas mileage, like around 4-5mpg more. It's also much much much better on the track. It's reliable and you don't worry about your motor blowing. EVERYONE blows their motors in an STI, there's threads all over the place on iwsti.com - street driving and even more so track driving (which will also give you cooling issues). The list goes on an on.

At the end of the day, keep the S2K and just get a golf R or something else, used subie forrester, dunno, but don't sell the s2k.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Drive the S through winter... I pulled it off in WISCONSIN. Nebraska should be cake
Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM

just get a subaru forester. The STI will be a possible head ache and will get horrible MPG.
KEEP THE S2K!

Quick Reply: Bye Bye S2k! Hellow STI?