S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: What should i do for winter driving?
Keep your S/C S2k and get a AWD DD for 6 months a year
75.29%
Sell The S2k and get a 2011 STI sedan and someday get another s2k.
24.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Bye Bye S2k! Hellow STI?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive DD'd the car in an area that gets more snow than STL OR Omaha, And i concur with Sixth Gear. In Co, there are mountains which make chains more applicable. But in flat areas they make no sense, regular snow tires (hell, even really good A/S tires) makes the S handle absolutely fine in the snow. Why restrict yourself to 35mph on the good roads just to be able to go 5-10mph faster on the bad ones?

THe only time the S sucks in the snow on proper tires, is when the snow is up to the bumper (an issue any car has, but and issue that is normally short lived due to plowing) OR when the driver tries to use lots of throttle, or drive fast in the snow, (the latter is a problem even in 4x4's).

I have DD's a FWD oldsmobile, an Acura RSX-S, a Dodge Durango, and a honda civic in the snow, and honestly, the S was just as good in the snow as the RSX (which actually got stuck easier than the S) and the Civic with the exception of when you give it too much gas, an issue that is easily solved with practice.

Now, I do not know what it is like to drive an S in snow in the mountains (I have only done that in the Olds and the Durango, when in NY), and will concede to Wilo when in comes to that area or expertise. However, mountain snow driving is completely irrelevant to a thread about Omaha, NE (which is flatter even than where I was in NJ). That said, no one in NY used snow chains except on the worse mountain roads out in the country.

I will also add that the type of car with the highest accident rate in the snow is the 4x4 vehicle. Owners of light cars that are supposedly bad in the snow, tend to get stuck more but crash less, (id rather be stuck than crash). Big 4x4 vehicles have a harder time stopping or turning, even in the snow than lighter cars. In fact, in snow 1 inch or less, my S often would handle better than the durango in every way except accelerating from a stop (this was in a flat area)
Old 09-22-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh dear god the +08 stis are ugly, get an older model please

edit: i saw your update. if you are going to get 04-07 wrx, get the 06. best year of the gd chassis wrxs.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I regret ever trading in my 04 STI as my daily driver, but it was worth so much money used at the time, (paid hardly nothing to own and drive it for two years) I couldn't pass it up. If you can find a used, unmolested STI for a good price, and perhaps keep your S, that would be a perfect fit. I know those cars still sell at a high premium used, but when all is said and done, two cars is better than one, so if even a used STI is our of your budget, I'd look for perhaps a used WRX to get you through the rough winter, and keep your S2000. Either way I'd keep it, and get yourself an AWD Subaru of some kind as a winter beater. Good luck!!