S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: What should i do for winter driving?
Keep your S/C S2k and get a AWD DD for 6 months a year
75.29%
Sell The S2k and get a 2011 STI sedan and someday get another s2k.
24.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Bye Bye S2k! Hellow STI?

Old 09-16-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2005 STI and keep my S2000 for spring/summer/fall (in CT). The STI is used in snow, rainy days, and when I need backseats.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Omaha roads are normally plowed in the winter. Im from there lol. If you know how to drive you shouldnt be off too bad, but if you wanna keep the S just buy a winter beater. FWD does good in the snow too with a good driver, you dont always need AWD just cause there is snow.
However, the new STis are sick! My brother lives in Omaha and just bought a 2011 sti sedan in black.
It really comes down to if youre really wanting a new car or not.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by DDragon22
WRX is only slightly faster in a straight line because of the gearing. On a regular track with turns, stock for stock STI beats the WRX always. They are both fun to drive in their own ways but very different cars in the end.
It was my understanding that the only suspension difference was a slightly stiffer spring and more rigid sway bars. From what I remember, the traction gain was minimal. I don't know if calling the STI 'very different' from a base WRX would be accurate. The base WRX seems less different from an STI than a base S is from a CR. Oh, but I guess you get shinny BBS wheels, if that's your thing. It just seems difficult to justify a huge premium for the STI when the base is already very appealing and rather similar. It might be fun to put that $9000 STI premium into a base WRX and see which wins.
You can debate the difference all day long...but I've owned both so I know first hand that they are indeed much different cars. The STI has stiffer springs, sways, better shocks, and stiffer bushings all around. The difference is enough that guys will buy stock STI suspension pieces and put them on their WRXs. That should say something right there. STI has much better brakes (Brembo), 6-speed transmission which is much stronger than the WRX 5-speed, DCCD (driver controlled center differential), Si drive which allows the driver to adjust the throttle characteristics of the current map, larger turbo, larger intercooler....etc. So yes, it is very accurate to call the cars very different.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 AM

I wouldn't buy a 2011, it's overpriced - I was slightly annoyed getting my '08 GR last year because (just like the S2000) the STi's don't deprecate enough from a buyer's perspective. I'd go with a GD - I had to go hatch with the 2 kids and all, but if I was a single dude it would've been a no-brainer to get the purer/rawer GD...
Old 09-17-2011, 02:08 PM

I'm moving to Omaha at the end of this month as well, and my only car is the S2k. I DD'd the S2k here in St. Louis through the winter, and as along as you have a good set of winter tires you'll be fine. Easiest and cheapest thing to do its just get a second set of rims with good winter tires that you swap on for the winter time, and sticky tires on the summer rims.

The hardest part about driving the S2k in the snow is stopping yourself from having too much fun playing . If you've never driven in snow before, just make sure you get used to how the VSA reacts with snow, how ABS acts with snow, and what the car will do when it starts sliding. Find an empty parking lot and have fun.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted get an AWD daily too, you will miss the s2k so much if you sell it!!!

Plus I just got a Forester for winter so there you go....haha
Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the S and buy a used Legacy GT.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 PM

If I had the $$ to buy an Sti, i'd go for it however, I wouldn't buy it used because most of them are used and abused. We get tones of snow in Calgary and I never had any problem driving a FWD. I wouldn't drive the S2k in the winter unless I got no choice. Best of luck
Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 PM

i just sold my s2000 and if i moved to somewhere with snow. I would definately get a sti just to make it safe. I wish i could afford a sti
Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by wilo
Originally Posted by MasterForce' timestamp='1316188589' post='20979283
So i found out that i am moving to Omaha, Nebraska in decemeber. unfortunately it looks like my s2k will not be able to join me in this trip. i am planning on selling it and getting a 2011 STI. i went there for winter 2 years ago and holy crap!! there was mountains of snow with blocks of ice on the side. there is no way my s2k would be able to do that for months even with snow tires since it is too low. i mean its already low here in texas so id be worse over there. but anyways yea im still debating if i should keep it and get another DD.

To survive snow u would have to lift it up and put some snow chains for cars, I kno how much that sucks when snow traps u anywhere... If u dont wanna worry about driving on snow and traction get a 4x4/AWD vehicle eather to replace the S or something cheap just to use it in winter... I had to get a Navigator cuz the freaking snow...
Chains, really? I dont think so. Get some blizzaks and call it a day. You only need chains up in the mountains where they just let snowpack form on the roads instead of plowing. Omaha will be plowed roads, and the only time that snow will be bad is before they plow the roads.

If you are slammed, yes you will have to raise the car up to stock height and you'll be fine. If you are super concerned with traction and really think snow tires wont cut it, get a big bag of kitty litter and put it in the trunk. Gives you more weight over the rear wheels plus if you really do get stuck, you can use the kitty litter for traction.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye S2k! Hellow STI?