S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cat dumped keys in trash

Old 11-24-2001, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it eventually happens to everyone- the cat knocks your keys off the counter and into the trash the day before trash collection and you don't notice the keys missing until its too late.

Ok, maybe it doesn't happen to everyone :-) And I'm making the assumption that this happened because the last place anyone saw the keys was on the counter close to the garbage can.

Sooo, I have to replace all the locks on my house, garage, and have the code for the missing key removed from the S2000.

However, the keyless entry was on this keychain too- so I'm wondering if there is any place online where I can order the keyless entry remote and program it myself to save some cash?

I saw the instructions in the FAQ section- but I had questions about those instructions. The instructions say "press the lock/unlock button" - but the remotes I have have 2 seperate lock and unlock buttons. Does this mean press lock first, then unlock. OR press either lock or unlock. Or press both at the same time?

Finally, on 1 line in the FAQ it says to "push the transmitter lock/unlock button with the transmitter in the passengers multiplex unit ". I assume the use of the word "in" is an error (meaning you don't have to open the multiplex unit and put the remote inside it??)??

Anyway, this has me burning up... the keys to my wife's car were on that keychain too and her car can't simply be reprogrammed. I guess if I want to eliminate the possibility her car will be stolen, I'll have to have the dealer change all the locks and the ignition? The keys to my POS Celica are on there too...but frankly if its stolen I wouldn't care too much. I only worry about this because I'm sure there was junkmail in the trash that can track the keys back to our house.

I'm not 100% sure the keys went into the trash- because I obviously can't confirm it...but it seems likely. However, I have heard of other owners having their S2000 stolen when someone stole the keys from their house- but I haven't left the house in like 4 days now (flu) so I doubt that occurred.

Thanks
-B
Old 11-25-2001, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well- I guess I can answer my own question here after spending the night searching for answers...

Apparently the 1997-2001 Honda CR-V takes the same remote as the S2000. (I don't know about new 2002 S2000, but its compatible with remotes that use the FCC ID:E4EG8DJ on the back )

And while http://www.handa-accessories.com/ doesn't show an S2000 remote, they do list the CR-V remote. They also have some instructions in PDF format for 'installation' of the remote on the CR-V and the steps appear to be identical to programming the remotes on the S2000 and clarify my questions from above.

You can also find the remotes on ebay, but who wants to deal with auctions...

-B

keywords for future searchs: lost keyless entry remote replacement
Old 11-25-2001, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Byron, that sucks! I hope you can get this all nailed down without too much difficulty. My brother's keys were stolen about 2 years ago, and he ended up leaving his S2000 at my house for several weeks, afraid that someone would show up in the middle of the night and make off with his car (made for a cool garage though, with 2 red S2000's in it!).

Since doing anything to the cat is unthinkable (yours was just doing what cats do!), I think I'd relocate either the garbage or where I leave my keys! I have a Siamese too; they're too smart for their own good, but mine usually stays off the kitchen counters (only because he's too fat to get up there easily!).
Old 11-25-2001, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd relocate the cat; perhaps to the great outdoors with the tip of my shoe (Just kidding, no flames please. At least I didn't post the 101 Things to do with a Dead Cat site.).
Old 11-25-2001, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be so lucky Last time I left my cat for the day, she decided that she would teach me a lesson. When I got back, I found my razor and toothbrush in the kitty litter. Granted it was not as expensive as replacing locks and keys etc... but still not a very nice thing to do. Oh well, what do you expect.

Dale