S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ChrisD - his car ROCKS

Old 12-05-2001, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you adjusted VTEC engagement? If not...then that's where you need to focus. We had all kinds of tuning 'issues' until we started playing with VTEC engagement and ended up with 6200 RPM's being optimal. We originally started with the SDS setup with a pair of secondary injectors but found that it just wasn't necessary. You're only talking about an additional $500-$600 for the SDS set up. Anyway, I'm not going to argue but if you can't figure things out, feel free to call my mechanic Dwight at Speedcraft (904 276-9720) and he can help with anything you're having problems with.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:22 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not argueing (sp?) with you. It's not a matter of figuring things out, it's more of a matter of are the parts supplied sufficient - in this case (in that particular area of the curve), they are not. The VTEC engagement point needed no adjustment, as it was already switching cams at 6200rpm and the torque curve was smooth in that area, indicating no adjustment needed.

The thing you must realize is that Honda builds their fuel systems very exacting. Often times, even stock, there are points in the range where the injector duty cycle approaches 100% (max). You can't add more fuel when the injector is already static. So you either have to add additional injectors, larger injectors, or increase fuel pressure. There are advantages and drawbacks to each, but I don't think I have to lay all those out for you.

Just a friendly discussion here, I'm not flaming anyone. I may seem a little long winded, but don't mistake that for me trying to out dual anyone in a battle of wits
Old 12-05-2001, 10:53 AM

How was it already set to 6200, did Chris change it already? Just curious because I can't stress how big a difference that made in our tuning. When we first put my car on the dyno, it was okay until VTEC hit and then the A/F curve would dive off the bottom (rich end) of the dyno chart. We played with it for a long time and just couldn't seem to get it right. Then we started playing with VTEC. When I was NA my VTEC was set at 5600 which seemed to be optimal we tried that and it got worse. Then we started raising it and tried several variations but it was like magic when we hit that 6200 RPM mark. Everyhting looked good at that point after a couple of minor tweaks.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:20 AM

I'm gaining interest in the Speed Craft turbo. Does anyone have an idea what the life span is on one of these or future maintenance expected?
Old 12-05-2001, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck
[B]How was it already set to 6200, did Chris change it already?
Old 12-05-2001, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by velocity
I'm gaining interest in the Speed Craft turbo. Does anyone have an idea what the life span is on one of these or future maintenance expected?
Since there's only two in existence, we don't know yet. But we'll find out when I blow up my engine, won't we?

Honestly, I have a lot of faith in the people who've worked on my car. Speedcraft is seriously professional about their installation - Dwight is the _man_. If the pictures and dyno and (hopefully) my unbiased testimonial don't speak towards the kit, I dunno what else to say. Hopefully this'll hold up to be a nice daily driver for years to come.

cd
Old 12-05-2001, 11:34 AM

Velocity,
The life span depends on you. If you stick with the 'rules' ( boost, turbo timer,etc.) then it should last a long time and there really shouldn't be any maintenance. I found with mine that as the weather cooled, I had to make some minor adjustments with the V-AFC but that's pretty easy and painless to do. I would highly recommend that you change your oil often, preferrably with Mobil 1.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:47 AM

Just an FYI for anyone who's not reading all the turbo threads. Here's the dyno thread link:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=37640

cd

PS: Post whoring for 2nd gear? What are you talking about??
Old 12-05-2001, 11:51 AM

I think you're lying... either that or it's an optimistic dyno.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by derryck
I think you're lying... either that or it's an optimistic dyno.

hahahah, I burst out laughing in the office here and everyone looked at me.

Quick Reply: ChrisD - his car ROCKS