S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Comptech SC voiding 'certified used' warranty?

Old 08-29-2003, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech SC voiding 'certified used' warranty?

I'm considering buying a used S2K that comes with a 'honda certified used car warranty'. My intention is to put the money saved by buying used into a Comptech SC. I have read on the board that adding Comptech components should not void the factory warranty but I have not heard anything regarding the voiding of a 'Honda Certified used car' warranty. I did find the following statement on the Honda site regarding this warranty: "Honda will repair or replace any covered part that is defective in material or workmanship under normal use." It's the 'normal use' that concerns me. Any thoughts or experiences...
Old 08-29-2003, 09:07 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

basically your warrantys good, but if you blow a hole in the block cuz of the supercharger, there not gonna fix it. It any problems result from the suercharger your screwed!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

From what I understand, Comptech is one of the few vendors that is athorized by Honda and does not void the wrnty. Several Honda Dealers sell and install CompTech SC with the same of the car and tack it into the car price.

Please don't take my word for it, contact CompTech and ask.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my take on it, Comptech does not have an agreement with Honda. What Comptech will tell you is that if there product is used properly and installed properly it should not cause any damage. Which in return should not void your warranty with Honda. Now this is what should be going through your mind, define proper usage. Some Honda Dealerships sell and install Comptech products, so if purchased and installed through them they will warranty any defects as long as it was "used properly". According to the law your warranty can not be denied unless it can be proven that the aftermarket part directly resulted in the damage that was incurred. It's all a game of semantics really, everyone is going to try and pass the buck.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:33 AM

Honda wanted to void my warranty for having "excessive wear" on my tires (they were still good at 15k), and you want to put a supercharger on your car? I think HoA got fed up dealing with 16 year old kids that blew blocks with too much N2O or installed crappy aftermarket parts, that they now look for any excuse to void your warranty. With a SC, consider your entire powertrain warranty gone, not just the engine. Unless its a dealer installed item, I wouldn't do it.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:46 AM

This is basically what I surmized from talking to my local Honda service department. There take on this is that if the particular problem can be linked to the replacement of a stock part with a non-stock part, the warranty will not cover the situation. To me, this means that one is basically at the mercy of the diagnostic interpretation of the honda mechanic. Yes, one could always try to get a second, non-honda opinion and take them to court but that would be a major hassal and in the end it probably wouldn't be too difficult for honda to relate a blown engine to the increased stress (even minimally) placed on it by even the most benign performance part. What do you guys think...
Old 08-29-2003, 12:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StookerToo
[B]This is basically what I surmized from talking to my local Honda service department. There take on this is that if the particular problem can be linked to the replacement of a stock part with a non-stock part, the warranty will not cover the situation. To me, this means that one is basically at the mercy of the diagnostic interpretation of the honda mechanic. Yes, one could always try to get a second, non-honda opinion and take them to court but that would be a major hassal and in the end it probably wouldn't be too difficult for honda to relate a blown engine to the increased stress (even minimally) placed on it by even the most benign performance part.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:46 PM

Exactly, They can do what they want. They wanted to do a full check over when I brought my car down for leather cracking on the seat. They want to document aftermarkets to void your warranty.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:30 PM

If you are that concerned about it, why not wait until your warranty expires? By that time, you'll have saved up even more money (hopefully) that you can install the supercharger *and* replace the engine if anything blows up.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:42 AM
pfb

The local service writer, service manager, and district service manager have an large amount of discretion when dealing with warranty claims. Find a good shop with a good service writer and service manager, and your life will be great. Get the wrong shop, with a surly service writer, and a a dont-bother-me-attitude service manager, and you are in trouble.

If the local dealer deny's a claim, however, don't expect the result to change by climbing the ladder. AHM is useless when it comes to "overturning" a local decision.

Also, do CPO warranties have the same Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protection as new warranties?