S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealer Extended Warranty - Post Purchase

Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Dealer Extended Warranty - Post Purchase

Just got a letter from my local dealership where I took my car to for oil changes and they are offering to sell me an extended warranty for up to 84 months or up to 100K miles. A little info about my car currently:

2002 Sebring Silver
15,500 miles
No mods at the moment, with the exception of a Spoon Titanium shift knob

I know that the original warranty that came with the car is probably/already expired and I'm seriously considering taking the offer. Has anyone gotten the same offers before from the local dealers? What are the typical prices for post-purchase extended warranty plans? In addition, I've read some horror stories on the forum about how the warranty claims can be denied based on Honda's assessment of "excessive" wear or abuse. I'm in no way abuse or drive my car hard, but I don't want to risk paying for the warranty plans and find out later that I have to shell out the repair costs out of my own pocket because they "claim" that I abuse my car...

Any inputs/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 PM

Anyone?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice to know how much the dealer is charging.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 PM

Thumbs down

Just discussed with the rep and got some details:

All plans coverage are 72 months
All plans are zero deductible, transferable, and 0% interest payment plans (19 months).
Warranty Coverage can be applied at any Honda dealership in US, as long as the mechanics are A.S.E certified (any non-A.S.E certified mechanics working at the dealer?)

Here are the plan details:
- Up to 75,000 miles - $2,593 ($136.48/mo)
- Up to 85,000 miles - $2,757 ($145.11/mo)
- Up to 100,000 miles - $2,987 ($157.22/mo)

What do you guys think of the prices? I'll post the actual details in the following post.

Eric
Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 PM

Thumbs down

The below is from the e-mail by the rep directly.

The STATED Care coverage covers the following items:

ENGINE
All internal, lubricated parts. Cylinder Block; Cylinder Head(s); Harmonic Balancer; Timing Chain, Timing Belt, Balance Shaft Belt, Gears, Pulleys, Guides and Tensioners; Oil Pump; Intake and Exhaust Manifold; Diesel Engine Vacuum Pump; Engine Mounts. The following parts are covered only if damaged by the failure of an internal, lubricated part: Cylinder Barrels, Timing Chain Cover, Valve Covers, Oil Pan and Rotor Housing.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION /TRANSFER CASE
All internal, lubricated parts. Flywheel; Transmission Mounts; Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder. The following parts are covered only if damaged by the failure of an internal, lubricated part: Transmission Case, Oil Pan and Transfer Case.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION /TRANSFER CASE
All internal, lubricated parts. Flex Plate; Vacuum Modulator; Transmission Mounts. Torque Converter if internally damaged. The following parts are covered only if damaged by the failure of an internal, lubricated part: Transmission Case, Oil Pan and Transfer Case.

DRIVE AXLE (FRONT/REAR)
All internal, lubricated parts. Drive Shafts; Axle Bearings; Drive Axles, Stub Axles, Tripod Joints; Universal Joints; Constant Velocity Joints and Boots; Locking Hub Assembly. Drive Axle Housing if damaged due to the failure of an internal, lubricated part.

SEALS AND GASKETS
Seals and Gaskets on all covered parts.

TAXES AND FLUIDS
State and local taxes, where applicable, and fluids as required as part of a covered repair.

AIR CONDITIONING
Condenser; Evaporator; Compressor; Accumulator; Receiver Dehydrator; Clutch, Pulley and Field Coil; Idler Pulley and Bearing; Expansion Valve; P.O.A. Valve; Orifice Tube.

HEATING
Heater Blower Motor; Heater Control Switch; Heating Cables; Heater Core. Fluids required as part of a covered repair.

BRAKING SYSTEM
ABS Control Unit, Wheel Sensors, Pump and Motor, Accumulator, Actuator Assembly; Master Cylinder; Vacuum/Hydraulic Assist Booster; Wheel Cylinders; Disc Brake Caliper, Pistons and Seals; Proportioning
Valve; Metal Hydraulic Lines and Fittings.

FUEL SYSTEM
Fuel Pump(s); Fuel Injectors; Fuel Injection Pump; Fuel Distributor; Fuel Tank; Metal Fuel Lines.

COOLING SYSTEM
Water Pump; Radiator; Fan, Viscous Drive, Clutch and Motor; Condenser Fan; Thermal Switch; Thermostat.

SUSPENSION (FRONT/REAR)
Upper and Lower Control Arms, Control Arm Shaft and Bushings; Upper and Lower Ball Joints; King Pins and Bushings; Torsion Bars; Strut Bar and Bushings; Stabilizer Bar; Links and Bushings; Wheel Bearings; Knuckle; Spindle and Support. MacPherson Strut Housing not including Shock Absorber or Insert.

STEERING
All lubricated parts contained within the Steering Gear Box. Rack Assembly, Control Valve; Power Steering Pump; Power Cylinder Assembly; Pitman Arm; Idler Arm; Tie Rod Ends; Drag Link; Steering Column Shaft and Coupling.

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Generator or Alternator; Voltage Regulator; Distributor; Ignition Module; Coil; Engine Wiring Harness; Manually-Operated Switches; Wiper Motor(s); Starter Drive and Solenoid; Starter Motor; Ring Gear; Anti-Detonation Sensors; Factory Installed AM / FM Radio, Cassette Player, C.D. Player and Speakers.

HIGH-TECH/CONVENIENCE GROUP
Four-Wheel Steering Center Shaft and Couplings, Power Steering Unit, Control Unit, Control Valve, Speed Sensors and Oil Pump; Turbocharger, Intercooler, Wastegate, Wastegate Actuator/Controller; Supercharger/Lysholm Compressor, Pulley and Clutch; Computerized Timing and Mixture Control Unit and Sensors; Power Door Lock Switches and Actuators; Cruise Control Module, Servo, Engagement Switch; Power Window Motor and Regulators; Power Seat Motor; Power Antenna; Power Sun/Moon Roof Motor; Ignition Switches.

In addition to all of the items listed in STATEDCare coverage, TOTALCare covers many, many more. So many we can't possibly list them all, but here is a sample of just SOME of the additional items covered under TOTALCare...

* Electronic Controller
* Electronic Level Control Programmer
* Compressor Pressure Switch
* Clutch Cycling Switch
* Electronic Temperature Control Sensors
* Evaporator and Heater Core Case
* Fluid Level Sensor
* Vacuum and Fluid Reservoirs
* Air Bag, Sensors and Switches
* Air Bag(s)
* Rear Defroster
* Trip Computer
* All Wiring Harnesses
* Factory Installed Anti-Theft Device
* Oil Pressure Gauge/Light
* Locking Cylinders
* Hood and Trunk Latches
* Electronic Power Steering
* PLUS, Hundreds more...

WHAT IS NOT COVERED*
* Normal Maintenance items and parts described in Your Vehicle's
Maintenance manual.
* Squeaks, rattles, water leaks or wind noise
* Non-factory installed radios and speakers
* Exterior metal
* Upholstery
* Trim
* Convertible tops, glass, plastic or assembly

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS

TOTALCare coverage plans include the following benefits.

RENTAL CAR REIMBURSEMENT
Providing transportation when your vehicle is in for a covered repair.

TOWING REIMBURSEMENT
Reimbursement for towing if needed for a covered repair.

TRIP INTERRUPTION(1)
Food and lodging reimbursement of up to $300.

TIRE AND WHEEL ROAD HAZARD PROTECTION(1)
Replacement of the original tires and repair or replacement of wheels, if damaged due to a road hazard.

EMERGENCY ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
PLUS, your plan includes Emergency Roadside Assistance benefits. Simply call a toll free, 24 Hour Emergency Assistance phone number for the following services, up to $65,\ per occurrence:
* Towing (up to $100 per occurrence)
* Flat Tire Change
* Gas and Fluids Delivery
* Lock Out
* Battery Jump Start

TRANSFERABLE
You can transfer the coverage to another private owner of the vehicle.

RENEWABLE
You can purchase another contract for the vehicle before current contract expires.

(1) Benefits may vary to conform with the laws of your state.

* Term availability is based on the age of the vehicle and the mileage on the odometer at the time of sale. This brochure is a summary of some of the benefits available with EasyCare Vehicle Service Contracts. AS REQUIRED BY FLORIDA STATUTE 634.121(10), THE SERVICE AGREEMENT COMPANY MAY REQUIRE THE USE OF REMANUFACTURED PARTS. Some benefits may not be available in some states. See your actual contract for details of coverage, as well as terms and conditions.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
EasyCare is administered for your dealer by Automobile Protection Corporation - APCO, established in 1984 and dedicated to helping you enjoy your vehicle, for as long as you own it.
* Backed by a major insurance company
* Peace of mind coverage
* No unexpected repair bills
* No-nonsense claims payment
* Transferable for increased vehicle resale value
* Coverage throughout the U.S. and Canada
* Renewable for whichever coverages vehicle is eligible for at the time of contract expiration
You can take your vehicle to any ASE Certified repair facility in the U.S. or Canada. And, EasyCare will pay those facilities directly with VISA, MasterCard or American Express, so that you do not have to pay out of your pocket.(2)

(2) You must pay your deductible, when applicable.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 PM

I would pass on it.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Pass on it.

Trying to get warranty work done from Honda sucks.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:57 PM

These aftermarket warantees are garbage, they will come up with excuse after excuse why anything and everything isn't covered. Don't waste your money.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should never buy extended warranties. They are all a load of crap. I'm not just talking about vehicle warranties. I'm talking about all warranties - including the ones they try to sell you on appliances and electronics.

How do you think these companies make money? 70% of what you pay for an extended warranty goes to the salesman. On average only 10% of all accumulated warranty payments is applied on actually fixing any problems with the cars under one particular company.

Just think about it - All that money you are paying to someone else just "in case" something breaks on your car. And what if nothing breaks? (which is the likely case). You lose all that money.

Instead, if you are really worried about someting breaking just put that money into a separate saving account or even a mutual fund. At the end of the "warranty" period, you keep the money plus interest! If something breaks then you have that money on hand. Statistically, it will not be more costly than what you are paying for the warranty.