S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

High Beam Replacement...

Old 01-17-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my high beams a few weeks ago. You do not need to take off the bumper but it's a tight fit. On the driver's side, you'll need to lift and move the coolant reservoir. I did it mostly by feel. First remove the wire harness. Then remove the rubber grommet. Then open the "wire lock" that holds the bulb in there. The bulb should come right out after that.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys that take off the front bumper to change a high beam bulb, do you also use a 10# sledge hammer to pound in a finishing nail?

Those two holes behind each headlight is there for a reason ............ It's so you can reach in and change your headlight bulbs! The driver's side requires that you lift up the coolant reservoir and place it off to the side so you can access the hole.

Oh, please don't tell us you take the doors off the car to change radio speakers.

BTW, I've changed highbeam bulbs through those holes on 3 cars now.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 17 2006, 12:49 PM
You guys that take off the front bumper to change a high beam bulb, do you also use a 10# sledge hammer to pound in a finishing nail?

Those two holes behind each headlight is there for a reason ............ It's so you can reach in and change your headlight bulbs! The driver's side requires that you lift up the coolant reservoir and place it off to the side so you can access the hole.

Oh, please don't tell us you take the doors off the car to change radio speakers.

BTW, I've changed highbeam bulbs through those holes on 3 cars now.
You are technically correct - you don't need to remove the bumper to change a bulb - according to the service manual you remove the front tire and then remove the front inner wheel well liner - just 5 bolts, 2 screws and 17 clips later your at the back of the headlamps. Since I was clearing my lights I had to remove the entire lamp so removing the bumper was necessary. But after doing this, I really think its easier to just pull the bumper. and unbolt the headlamp. IMHO As for replacing lamps throught that hole - well I don't think you can reach all four bulbs through it and those HID bulbs are very sensitive to dirt, grease etc. There is just too much chance of getting them dirty (thus shortening their live) working in those close quarters, so I would prefer not to use that method - you can suit yourself.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by LINESUPER,Jan 17 2006, 11:40 AM
well I don't think you can reach all four bulbs through it and those HID bulbs are very sensitive to dirt, grease etc.
I think some people are getting way ahead of themselves. Please take another look at the original poster's question. He's not talking about reaching all 4 bulbs. He not talking about doing the HIDs. He's ONLY interested in changing the high beam bulbs. He's not talking about clearing his headlights. He just wants to change out those 2 little bulbs. So, take off the whole bumper and unbolt the headlights just to do that? A bit overkill, no?

Just bought new high beams for my S
PS. You don't even have to do what the Helm manual says about going in from the wheel well unless you've got hands the size of King Kong.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:28 PM

taking the bumper off may seem "easy" to some.... but I'd have to say, what I don't like about taking the bumper off is the chance that it could get scratched AND the fact that you have to deal with re-aligning the damn thing afterwards. It is a total PITA.

what I would do if I really couldn't get my hands in there would be to just jack the car up, remove the wheel, and remove the inner fender. 5 minutes and you have complete access to the back of the headlight, unobstructed. Also a great way to align your bumper with it on the car if you are having issues...
Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 PM

Is it possible to replace your Highbeams with HIDs if so has anyone does it???
Old 01-17-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by .no tork.,Jan 17 2006, 06:58 AM
Once you have the headlight out it's simple and self explanitory. I replaced my highbeams with BlueZone 100watt 4200k Halogen bulbs last week, definately brighter and they match the HID's. Taking the bumper off was easy, even being my first time and without a manual. The headlights were simple as well, but I had to refer to a service manual I found on here. All in all it was a worthwile mod...not because I replaced my bulbs, because I learned how to take my bumper and headlights off in the process which is always good.

Today I'm going to attepmt the suspension
Have fun man. Just lowered mine a couple of weeks ago. Its all pretty easy, a lot of wiggling, the left rear upper suspension bolts are a bitch to get to. Youll see what I mean. haha thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by LINESUPER
according to the service manual you remove the front tire ...
Really? My Honda service manual shows that replacing the hi-beam bulbs is done through those access ports, the left one being behind the coolant reservoir as has been mentioned. G127's steps are exactly what's shown in the manual.

I've not done this (although I'm thinking about whiter bulbs) due to the big-hand problem, though. But reading these responses has me encouraged.

And I guess, based on xviper's comments, I don't need to pull the engine to do an oil change, eh? HPH
Old 01-17-2006, 05:28 PM

where do you guys purchase your bulbs at ?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:28 PM

You know what? All this misinformation needs to be straightened out now.

I just scanned every page in the Helm service manual on this topic.

You go through the wheel well ONLY if you are servicing the HID bulbs.

You take off the front bumper ONLY if you are removing the headlight assembly.

For replacing the high beam bulbs only, as per your OWNER'S MANUAL ..................................

You access via the hole behind each headlight from the engine compartment. For the side with the coolant reservoir, you lift the reservoir up and place it off to the side so you can use that access hole.

And I guess, based on xviper's comments, I don't need to pull the engine to do an oil change, eh? HPH
If you listen to some of the crap that's been posted here, YES, YOU MUST PULL THE ENGINE TO DO AN OIL CHANGE!

OK, can we get back to our regularly scheduled programming?

Quick Reply: High Beam Replacement...