S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can't believe it, something is wrong with my s2k after only owning it for about a week. It first started with a strange rattling noise above 4k rpm.

Honda dealership diagnosed it as an exhaust manifold problem earlier today.

Then when I went out tonight I was driving at approx 50mph when I went to shift into 6th gear and I couldn't put it into any gear.

I pulled over to the side and the transmission would not shift into any gear whatsoever.

When I turned off the car the shifter moved around in all the gears as if nothing happened.

I was able to start the car with the shifter in gear which somehow allowed me to drive it 5 miles more before the same thing happened. Now I can start the car up and drive it around but it'll still lock up every once in a while...

I don't know what's going on at all, and the rattling noise now starts at 2k rpms

sorry of the messy post I'm just really stressed out... my other car was broken into just a 2 days ago too...

Old 08-05-2005, 11:52 PM

Have the dealer check into the hydraulic system for the transmission/clutch. Possibly a bad slave or something similar. I've never been too good with hydro trannies, but it definitely sounds like a problem with the clutch not releasing correctly.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by brent_strong,Aug 5 2005, 11:52 PM
Have the dealer check into the hydraulic system for the transmission/clutch. Possibly a bad slave or something similar. I've never been too good with hydro trannies, but it definitely sounds like a problem with the clutch not releasing correctly.
I hope it's that simple...
Old 08-06-2005, 07:04 AM

I dont think its the slave...if that went down, you would not be able to get it into gear, even when off. You are still under warranty, dont sweat it man! Let Honda foot the bill!

Can you actually get the shifter INTO gear while running, and it doesnt do anything? Or can you just not get the shifter to move. If you can get it "into gear" but nothing happens, you may have a broken differential. If not, it is obviously something to do with the clutch. Try straight shifting it.....rev matching with no clutch shifting (if you know how to do it). This should tell you if the synchros are screwed up. Do not try it unless you know what you are doing.....you can destroy the synchros if you do it improperly.

John
Old 08-06-2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Aug 6 2005, 07:04 AM
I dont think its the slave...if that went down, you would not be able to get it into gear, even when off. You are still under warranty, dont sweat it man! Let Honda foot the bill!

Can you actually get the shifter INTO gear while running, and it doesnt do anything? Or can you just not get the shifter to move. If you can get it "into gear" but nothing happens, you may have a broken differential. If not, it is obviously something to do with the clutch. Try straight shifting it.....rev matching with no clutch shifting (if you know how to do it). This should tell you if the synchros are screwed up. Do not try it unless you know what you are doing.....you can destroy the synchros if you do it improperly.

John
I just limped it down to the honda dealership, they were very kinda and gracious they are going to put in a new clutch assembly and also drain my tranny fluid to see if there are any metal shards that don't belong.

I cannot get the shifter into gear while running when the problem occurs.

I can turn off the car put the car into 1'st gear. start the car and drive for a mile or so before the same problem occurs again.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:41 AM

almost undoubtedly a clutch issue....you should see if they will credit you for the amount of a stock clutch, and let you get a higher performance ACT clutch asembly......MUCH stronger than stock, and will only be $100-200 if they credit you at Dealer prices and you grab the ACT online.

john