S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Melting? 00-01 Window? Another repair story.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melting? 00-01 Window? Another repair story.

Ok, so November 11th last year, Honda replaces the latches on my conv top and adds 4 nice scratch marks across it. Easily shown and replaced, although the Honduh service manager tried to make it abundantly clear that they did not feel they were responsible. Uh, sure. Anyway, FFwd about 3 months and toss in a small fender bender for flavor. Upon getting the car painted, I notice two spots about 3 inches in diameter where it appears that plastic of some sort has melted. Nothing substantial, it looked thin enough to buff out, but definately there. I have to take the car back to the body shop to get some blending done and point out the area to the service guy. Upon receipt of the car a second time, there are two more of these marks on the opposite side of the window. I point these out immediately. Anyway, we bicker back and forth for months about who is to blame and where they came from. Add 1 more accident, and a return to the body shop. It hasn't been my year, first at-fault accidents in 6-7 years and two in one year and to my S.... Anyway, after getting the car back this time, there are more of these marks while the body shop still SWEARS it did not occur in their care. They even cover the entire top of the car with 3M plastic for paint masking every time it comes in! Anyway, I /know/ that the marks showed up when they had it, but now I need to know /what/ is going on, anyone ever heard of this? I hope to post pics soon.

Specifics on the marks:
Textured, so it's definately on the outer surface of the window, nothing on the inner surface which has static tint. Polishing will not remove the marks. Definately impedes vision in an already difficult to see window. 3rd party auto-fabric place that replaced the window when Honda paid states he has never seen this before.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:23 AM

So I'm guessing no one has seen this? Any chemists/thermodynamicists?
Old 06-23-2004, 08:37 AM

Never heard of or seen anything like this before.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:30 AM

The marks don't have cigarette-ash in them do they? Are they about the right size for a cigarette-induced melt?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hoof
The marks don't have cigarette-ash in them do they?