S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

More stereo stuff

Old 10-20-2000, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen (I don't think any ladies have responded to this post), I can't thank you enough for all your input. It's exactly what I needed. Pinky, I live to do this kind of stuff, and believe me, I will be able to figure it out--guaranteed! But with the comments I got here today, I will have a lot less trouble running it. I can't imagine paying someone to do this when it's something that I love to do. Ya know what I mean?

Sunchild, I will check out your routing suggestion (which sounds good) tomorrow morning just to make sure I can figure it out. I didn't realize that I needed the power cable away from the signal cables. I've ordered Crutchfield's firewire setup since I've seen it recommended on this forum before.

S2K-F8, I had forgotten about that hidden space on the left side rear of the trunk. I'd seen a post about it before and may have noticed it when I got in the trunk. I think the trunk is where it's going to go even if it does fit under the seat--which I doubt it would--in case I want to install the Honda aftermarket sub later on. But thanks a bunch for reminding me.

Pinky, I can tell you right now, I don't anticipate the head unit is going to cut it, but since I'll have spend $600 by the time I have the amp installed, I'll have to wait until Nov/Dec to bribe my wife into letting me buy one of the Pioneer head units. I'm partial to the DEH-P7200. I'll be getting with you on a price and will be trying to save enough for the wiring relay for the remote controls.

Again, gents, I really appreciate all the info you guys have given me. Rest assured, I won't blow up my car, and when I'm done, I'll let you know how it sounds.

As we say in the Marine Corps, Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful).

Kevin

P.S. Pinky, how did you get that flame icon on your post? It's too damned cool!
Old 10-20-2000, 11:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Zero good choice on head units...im partial to that myself.(I have the DEH-P720 in my car) Both the 720 and 7200 are virtually the same but the only thing that is different and will make a difference that I learned is with the remotes but I will tell you about that when you come to buy the radio.

Oh and I TOTALLYunderstand where your comming from about doing it your self. Why do you think I got into the stereo stuff in the first place. I just would hate to see you start on a fine car like this and scratch/break something thats all. Just looking out for you. I had one guy who had to replace the part that fits over the radio because he messed it up. Just dont want you to suffer the same fate.

That said DIVE IN! Have a good time and im here to help you if you need help running the wires or finding a good place to ground everything.
Old 10-20-2000, 11:24 AM

Zero,

I echo Sunchild's routing. Exactly what I did with the exception that I didn't separate the power wire. Given that it is a DC circuit, I think the noise induction argument is not that relevant. And whether my physics are correct or not... there is no noise induced. I am using 8 guage wire to the amp in the spare.

In addition, I found plenty of space under the tunnel overhangs for wires for: Power, Speakers to Amp, Speakers back to Head unit, CD changer.

As for the hidden area on the left... be VERY careful. You have to remember that the thing you do see in there is the gas tank.

Someone a while back had a professional installer drill holes in this to mount an amp or CD... and lets just say the car smelled a bit after this. Thank goodness it didn't get extra hot inside as well!

I guess it goes to show that not all professional installers are all that professional.

Have fun.

Dan
Old 10-20-2000, 12:03 PM

Check what this guy has done...

also check it out ... http://www.over-rev.net/
click on S2000
Old 10-20-2000, 12:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skarv:
[B]Zero,

I echo Sunchild's routing.
Old 10-20-2000, 12:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zero-60in5:
[B]P.S.
Old 10-20-2000, 02:31 PM

Pinky, I understand where your advice is coming from. In my younger years, I may have made mistakes out of my haste to get the job done, but as I've gotten older, I've gotten a lot more patient. If I run across something I'm not sure of, the installion will stop until I figure it out--and I won't be drilling into my gas tank as someone else apparently did.

I've done a lot of other work on cars, even installed some amps in the old days, but amps now-a-days are a lot different than they used to be. The biggest job I ever took on was hard wiring a Sony 10-pack CD player into a Maxima Boss stereo system. It took me a week or two, but when it was done, the sound was SUPERB! I wasn't willing to pay the $900 Nissan was charging for a changer, and I sure as hell wasn't going to use an FM modulator for it. At that time, Crutchfields hadn't come out with harnesses for CD installations. They have them now which would have made the job a WHOLE lot easier!

Again, gents, thanks for the guidance. You guys are great! Semper Fi. Kevin
Old 10-20-2000, 10:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I installed my amp under the left seat.

My thinking is that the shorter the cable runs the less chance of noise or shorts.

And as the S only has speakers in the front I thought it a little odd to run the input all the way to the boot, and the outputs back to the front.

My RCA inputs run from the head unit to the left under the dash (RHD, so this is the passenger side), behind the left kick panel, under the carpet back to the seat, then right towards the amp. Power runs from the amp under the carpet to the centre tunnel, then up to the head unit and it's power supply. The earth lead connects to the seat bolt.

In retrospect I will probably re-wire this so the amp gets it's own power lead from the battery and feeds from the left of the vehicle, with the signal lines going up the centre console to the head.

I did the install myself because everytime I asked an installer what they would do it inevitably involved a drill and a complete lack of respect for Honda metal work.

Today I picked up a Sony input selector (allows you to connect additional non-Sony outputs to the AUX in of the head unit). I'm waiting on the Neo 35 MP3 player which should be here next week with luck.

Then the photo session really begins.

[This message has been edited by AusS2000 (edited October 20, 2000).]