S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

NEED HELP! Fog inside headlight cover

Old 10-29-2001, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Fog inside headlight cover

Has this happened to anyone else...

A week ago or so I noticed that the left headlight assembly on my car was full of fog...I thought I'd give a couple of days under the sun and maybe that will help...NOT...

Anyhow what
Old 10-29-2001, 05:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to the dealer, they should replace it.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, it is defnitely only dealer can help by replacing the housing with bad seals under warranty.
I am not for sure, but my guess as to what further contributed this problem is that maybe you wash your car with pressurized stream?
I have similar problem but the problem is caused by me. When I cleared the headlight housing, I didn't completely seal it properly(I thought I did) and when I washed the car(pressurized stream) it started to condensate after a while. I would let it stand in the sun for 3-4 days and the condensation will eventually dry away.
But surprisingly rain drops even the heavy one would never cause the fog.

Perhaps you should let it dry in the sun for couple of more days?
But in your case, you are better off dealer taking care of that.
In the future(if this is how you do it), try avoid using direct pressurized stream of water around headlight housing or taillight when washing, the integrity of the seal seems to be weak anyway.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:59 AM

I ran into the same problem, however rain did cause my condensation issue, and not a car wash.

I also cleared out the orange reflectors and apparently did a poor job of sealing the passenger side headlight housing. I don'tthink it was something that happenned when I initially did it because my housings have done fine for almost 3 months since I did it. But a couple of weeks ago I was caught in a really heavy storm and when I got home I noticed the inside of the housing was coated in water.

I tried to wait it out and see if the moisture would evaporate, and it would at first, but as soon as the evening came and temperatures dropped, more moisture formed again. Also, the inside housing was collecting a lot of dirt in the moisture so even if it evaporated, all that dirt was inside the housing.

So I had to open it back up and attempt to clean it out. Well, to my dismay I found that leaving the moisture to dry by the heat of the sun and the heat of the HID beam caused little bubbles to form inside of the clear plastic housing. I used scratch out polishes and bleach and my housing is still very cloudy in comparison to my driver's side housing.

I'm currently looking to buy some JDM or Euro housings for $850 to replace the stock ones I've messed up. As long as you didn't attempt this orange corner removal and this is just a factory defect, you should be able to get warranty to cover it no problem. I however will be stuck buying new housings because the broken seal was contributed to my modification.

I have a thread with pics about it here. I would say that if you want to save the housing you already have then the smartest thing would be to open it up as soon as you notice moisture in it and clean it out. If you let it sit then this cloudy effect will happen to you as well. This is only if you attempted the modification. Since it's a defect for you, just take it in for serice and they'll fix it up.

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=32404
Old 10-29-2001, 08:09 AM

A month or two ago, I noticed that I had some condensation in the left (driver's side) headlight. It was there for a short while then it disappeared. This has happened maybe 2 or 3 times, with no pattern (like right after a wash or something).

My car is garaged and I wash it pretty often. It has only seen rain by accident.

Don't know if it was me doing something wrong, or if the seal is going???