S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Not 100% satisfied with the s2000

Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Take it to the track, and by track, I mean a road course - not a drag strip.

it also has a way of destroying your need/want to modify even more when the guy in a "stock" s2000 with just fluids and brake pads destroys your laptimes by 3+ seconds...
Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neeekd
As I type this I think the fact of the matter is, you're never going to be satisfied with just one car. Multiple is key.... Maybe? Haha HELP!
I absolutely agree. Owning one generic "gets me from A to B" vehicle is the absolute worst way to do the car thing. Your life will be far more enjoyable with a stable of exceptional niche vehicles. My current rides:

1. 2006 Honda Big Ruckus 250cc scooter, my daily driver. 63 MPG, I drive it to work (6 miles) every day that there isn't ice on the ground. It's the vehicle I use for short trips and errands to save miles / engine warm-up on the other two.
2. 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser. I bought this truck when I moved to Denver for offroading. Lifted/armored, it goes everywhere and is a tank.
3. 2006 Honda S2000. For when I'm going somewhere in the mountains but staying on the road. Bought after too many trips on mountain roads where driving the FJ was not fun.

Future:

4. 2010-2011 Lexus GS460. I don't have a road-trip / people cruiser type car right now, and this is it. V8 RWD, 340+ horsepower, 8 forward gears so 29-30MPG. I've owned this engine in the LS460 before and it's fantastic, but that car is too big / boaty.

Some people say "4 vehicles is too many", but it's only too many if you're ever conflicted about which vehicle to drive. Based on their specific capabilities, I'm never confused as to which vehicle to drive. They are different enough that it's an easy choice, as long as I know what I'm going to be doing when I get there. If not, I usually just drive the FJ.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KHANG
Give yourself a track day with the S. That'll change your mind completely.
My thoughts exactly.

I had no clue how great this car is until I finally got on a road course, and did some auto-cross events. Completely changed my perception of the driving experience.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM

Alright there may have been some hasty generalizations in my OP, as far as the "you're".. no need to take offense lol.

I'm aware it's an internal problem, and I posted the question trying to reason it out.

Some speculation
I know I love seeing multiple other sports cars on the road. I love to have a project, and something about my s2k just feels complete. Even the engine, with just the exhaust/intake. I think I'm definitely more attracted to the Build/Break/Repeat cycle.

I think:
-I do need a 4 door daily/wagon type
Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM

+ I think I really need to run it top down on the hot summer nights.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Best car to do all things is a Corvette. I had an S2000 and a WRX and I sold both for the C7. Been happy so far, the C7 hasn't limited any activities for me and I see you are in the Bay Area so you should be good driving one year round. It will never leave you wanting more power on the streets and it's a blast on the track.

Having said that, if you need a project in your life, there is nothing wrong with that but definitely having one car to drive while working on the other is important.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:06 AM

You just need another car. I get bored with the s as well. But if I sell it, I just end up wanting another...
Old 01-14-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Best car to do all things is a Corvette. I had an S2000 and a WRX and I sold both for the C7. Been happy so far, the C7 hasn't limited any activities for me and I see you are in the Bay Area so you should be good driving one year round. It will never leave you wanting more power on the streets and it's a blast on the track.

Having said that, if you need a project in your life, there is nothing wrong with that but definitely having one car to drive while working on the other is important.
Haha! That was going to be my setup! s2k --> boost & wrx wagon daily... I'll take the z06 into consideration..

But a project is something I think I'm sure I want. I wanted to run the FD as a project next to the stock s2k.. but 2 2-seaters? lmao

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
You just need another car. I get bored with the s as well. But if I sell it, I just end up wanting another...
Exactly that!! the only other car I was looking at because the lines are beautiful and it performs like the s2k does, was the FD. I just didn't have a daily at the time. I think I'll drive the s2000 through summer, & if I'm still not satisfied. FD it is. Until the r33's/s15's start floating in! LOL
Old 01-14-2015, 11:46 AM

I decided that I needed two cars. Previously, I've owned sports sedans like the RS4 and 335i. Both were MT and I got sick of sitting in traffic jams, shifting gears and dealing with the poor ride quality (BMW) on rough city streets. So last fall, I bought my first automatic - a 2015 IS 350 F-Sport. Sitting in traffic was now a breeze and the adaptable suspension really helps smooth out the crappy city streets. This car is a great DD and also great for long road trips. But compared to my previous cars, it's boring. I miss shifting my own gears when I do have the opportunity to drive on a fun road. So, rather than try to achieve everything with one car, I picked up the S2k as a weekend toy.

Think of it like shoes. I have shoes for the gym, shoes for tennis, shoes for hiking and shoes for work. There's no way you could find just one shoe to do everything great.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by S2KHANG
Give yourself a track day with the S. That'll change your mind completely.

I couldn't agree more, anyone who hasn't had a proper track day in a S2000, meaning, time laps, decent track tires and proper compound brake pads...etc.. You need to experience the S2000 to its full potential.

Quick Reply: Not 100% satisfied with the s2000