S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

-Official- S2000 vs Some other car thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't think the Lotus is worth the money.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned an F-Body, a C5 Z06, an 07 Si, an S2000, and a TSX.

For a daily driver, the Si and TSX were the most comfortable/fun. The S2000 was flat out the most fun to drive every day, but obviously not quite as practical.

For all-out performance with a total lack of fit/finish and an overall disgusting interior, the C5 Z06 takes the cake. That thing was insanely fast with minor bolt-ons and a big cam. But driving it every day was cumbersome. As a track toy, I'd definitely consider one.

With that said, I'm getting back into an S2000...the only car I'd sell it for would be a C6 Z06.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys I need some help. I really like the speed3 2nd generation what do you guys think? I'm I upgrading or downgrading?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:51 AM

I can't speak specifically to the 2nd Gen MS3, but I owned a 1st Gen for a little over 2 years. I recently sold the car and can honestly say that I don't miss it at all. I think that the MS3 is a good car, but it is just not as "cohesive" as the S2000 seems. Honda is a very R&D focused company and Mazda does not have the means to focus on R&D as much and it shows. I felt like my car was having issues that a 30k mile car should not - sway bar bolts coming loose, EGR CEL's, broken motor mount. Not to mention all the TSB's and Recalls that some have experienced (personally I only had to get 1 TSB and Recall addressed for minor items). Keep in mind that my MS3 was completely stock and not driven hard.

I'm currently looking for an S2000 to buy, so I would consider going back to the MS3 a downgrade. Hope that helps some, not trying to discourage, but rather just giving my 2 cents!

Cliff notes: S2000 > MS3 (IMO)
Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM

They are two completely different cars. I mean your looking between an econo hot hatch and a sports car... it all depends on your needs, do you need the extra space? do you need to carry people and stuff around? is it going to be your daily driver? you have to ask yourself these questions and make a decision for yourself.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Thanks for your comments. Yes I need more space and I like the car alot it looks nice. Just wanted to know if those cars were any good. I'm looking forward into a bigger car with more space that is still fun to drive around. And yes my s2000 is my daily.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mazelmazelgoodthings
They are two completely different cars. I mean your looking between an econo hot hatch and a sports car... it all depends on your needs, do you need the extra space? do you need to carry people and stuff around? is it going to be your daily driver? you have to ask yourself these questions and make a decision for yourself.
This.

This question OP doesn't really have an answer that makes any sense.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If assembly location is important to you, all MS3's are still assembled in Japan. I used to own a 1st Gen Mazda6, and it was assembled in Michigan and had various Ford-sourced parts, one of which was the transmission.

In terms of maintenance, if you're a DIYer, check out the Mazda boards for their write-ups to compare to experiences with the S2K, or any other Honda for that matter. I found that Mazdas in general were not as user-friendly for things like your standard oil change and trans fluid service. For example my 6 had a cartridge oil filter, and it just made for a mess every oil change. On the transmission side, it was superbly engineered so that when it was drained it would shoot straight onto the frame of the car.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're in luck! I currently own both cars! 12 MS3, 02 S2K.

I think the Speed3 is a great car, and I got it to be my new daily. The S2K is now my weekend car, and I drive it to work once a week or so. It has 86K miles, and I want to keep it many more years, so it's not a daily anymore.

First, both cars are so different, it's hard to really compare them.

The S2000 is a purpose-built sports car that doesn't share its parts or platform with anything else. It was MADE to be a sports car, and that's it. The Speed3 is the souped-up version of an economy platform...just like the WRX, Evo, Etc. Great cars, but they're not purpose built. With that in mind, they do offer what the S2K cannot...every day practicality.

So, if you are getting the Speed3 to be your sports car and that's it...it's a downgrade. If you need what it offers...well that means it better suits your needs. The Speed3 is a $25K car, and the S2K was a $35K car...many years ago.

I would say the S2000 is a work of engineering art. Very easy and pleasant to work on. I haven't done much with the MS3, but it's not going to be the same thing. It seems to be a well made car, but a S2K it isn't.

If I could only have ONE car? If I didn't need space, etc...S2000 all day every day. If I lived in a real world and had obligations and children...MS3.

I have a blast driving either. The MS3 is just as quick as a stock S2K...but getting more out of the 3 is easy, whereas the S is expensive. My S2K has forced induction, so my S will walk the MS3 easily. Oddly enough, the MS3 feels a ton faster as it has a ton of torque, and what appears to be an underrated 263HP...probably more like 275.