S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Padding underneath the carpet

Old 08-13-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Padding underneath the carpet

I am pulling all my carpets and interior pieces to do a deep cleaning. The padding underneath the carpet, is this for insulation? What is it called and can I buy a brand new one from the dealer or elsewhere? Or is it even needed? I have heard pple take it out and replace it with dyno mat.

Kinda just want to know if I need to put it back or can the carpet be used without this “padding”. I’m sure this padding is old an nasty and I’m not sure I want to reuse it.

Found this on ebay: I think this is basically exactly what we have. Just have to cut it to size.

https://www.ebay.com/i/261827695453?...a6b1f7ffec4682
Old 08-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

You can replace the padding with new automotive “Jute” padding. The problem with that stuff is it holds water if exposed to moisture. It is not the best insulator but does okay. I replaced mine with 3M Thinsulate for automotive use. The size of the fibers are half the usual frequencies of NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) found in most autos. Thinsulate is also hydrophobic and dispels water. Very light and compressible.

I also added some B Quiet underneath to kill resonance and tame the heat. Both combined do a great job. I actually stopped adding it (them) forward of the crossmember under the front edge of the seats to preserve some of the engine noise when spooled up.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

If you use any sort of dynomat, be sure to just put a little piece in the middle of each flat section, like 25% coverage. Don't try and cover every millimeter like you see on TV project cars. Way too heavy and too costly.

Full coverage is only worthwhile on professional level high watt audio competition automotive projects.

Tape the edges with metal foil tape from home depot. Used for sealing duct joints.

That thinsulate insulation is awesome, and awesomely expensive. For cars such as ours that you probably don't want to shut out all noise, something like the bubble wrap style foil backed insulation might be a good choice. Light. Cheap. Cuts down heat and some noise, but not too much noise.

Dynomat type damper, applied with 25% coverage, taped edges, foil backed bubblewrap.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The nasty grey stuff is called jute padding or shoddy pads. While thinsulate does a good job of blocking out noise, the frequency it filters out does not match what shoddy pads filter out. I did a quick co-op at toyota in NVH team and the reason why some areas of the cars have certain type of NVH material is due to the frequency that area generates or permeates. While thinsulates are very good NVH material, replacing a shoddy pad with thinsulate may not give the same NVH performance. My 2 cents would be that you should add dynomat to metal and replace the old shoddy pad with newer ones for floor carpets. There is a reason why automakers use shoddy pad for floor lining (other than the fact that it's cheaper). on the other hand, thinsulates are almost always used in upper body NVH such as doors or behind plastic trim. Don't quote me on this but from what I remember, shoddy pads are better for lower frequency such as road noise/engine noise while thinsulate is excellent for higher frequency like wind noise. again no NVH expert here but one of the things I learned as a co-op a while back.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I went beyond 30% coverage with B Quiet as I wanted good coverage from the transmission and road noise not forgetting the heat transfer. All covered up in Thinsulate. Still very happy with results.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...sults-1085903/