S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Photos of new windscreen prototype: we have a winner: problems have been solved

Old 10-29-2000, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam_S2K and I finished test fitting the windscreen prototype this afternoon. I'm pleased to report that most of the concerns expressed in the previous post have been address.

Here's the previous thread, just in case you want to check it: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...hp?threadid=562

First, using the stock mounting mechanism, with the screen mounted in the stock position, the screen can be folded back and down with the roof up! The fit is tight and you have to push the plastic window out just a bit to clear the screen when you push it back and down, but it does clear. So, you can fold the screen down with the roof up and have full access to the hidden compartment. But beware: you have to fold the screen back up before you put the top up. If you forget, you'll scratch or damage the top or plastic window.

Second, while the screen does produce a little glare, it is not instrusive and will not interfere with driving. Moreover, the line of the top of the screen almost disappears in the rear view mirror, and should not be a problem.

Finally, as the pictures indicate, the S2000 mark looks spectacular. But judge for yourself. Remember, though. I can't sell the screen with the logo on it until Honda gives us permission to use the logo.

Here are the pictures.

My next step is to find the least expensive way to have it manufactured, which I'll be doing this week.

Mingster and I plan to collaborate to produce two versions, one that works with the stock mechanism and another that fits Mingster's mount, which obviates the need to buy the stock mechanism (but is not hinged to fold down).

I will not produce a shorter version, because it's now unecessary and defeats the whole purpose of having a larger screen.

The version you see in the pictures, with a few final minor modifications, is the version I will produce, and none other, except, maybe, for one that is about 1/2 inch shorter to clear the rear window (see thread below),
Old 10-29-2000, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,
Looks great. I kinda like the wind in my hair, but I think my wife is really going to thank you.
Old 10-29-2000, 02:49 PM

I wasn't particularly interested before but it looks great and now I think I may want one. The logo makes the difference for me. Any word from Honda yet on permission?
Old 10-29-2000, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good Rick! I have one safety concern however. Those rather pointy bits at the top corners. I'm a bit concerned that they at awefully close to ones head. I'm a bit worried about what might happen in a side impact should that screen be tilted forward. Is there some way to make sure that it never goes forward of the roll hoops? Like a stopper of some kind?

Perhaps I'm paranoid but I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of having that pointy bit of glass sitting there beside my head.
Old 10-29-2000, 03:01 PM

Rick, I really don't think you have a problem using S2000 on the screen. Looks great!
Old 10-29-2000, 03:21 PM

Rick, why do you show most of the pictures with the windscreen backwards? i.e. pictures 3-6 show it folding forward. Due to car to car variability, you should consider taking another 1/4 inch off the top if it was a tight fit with your sample car. I'd hate to have to take a belt sander to it to make it fit! I'll take mine without the logo. The logo will always be backwards from one direction.
Old 10-29-2000, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy,

Believe me, there is no need to trim any more off, and to be blunt, I won't do it for aesthetic reasons.

It's shown backwards in a few pictures only because that's the way we first tested it, before we discovered it wasn't necessary to mount it backwards. It wasn't even bolted down when I took those pictures. We ran out of light as evening approached, so I couldn't take any more pictures.

As for the ears being dangerous, the stock screen does not fold forward, and can't, so unless the bolts rip out, it isn't going anywhere. But if you want piece of mind, you can mount bumpers of some kind.
Old 10-29-2000, 03:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rick- i really like the screen; especially the logo... i assume that you are just producing the clear part, and it mounts in the base i already have?
Old 10-29-2000, 03:44 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel:
[/B]
Old 10-29-2000, 03:45 PM

I really like how that logo looks etched! But I still think the windscreen itself is too high. Oh well.

Jay

Quick Reply: Photos of new windscreen prototype: we have a winner: problems have been solved