S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Roof Liners

Old 11-30-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking S2000 Roof Liners

******* Alright! I solved the problem with the canvas, so I'm ready to start producing them! I will get pictures up as soon as I can.********

I became a sponsor and started organizing my little venture: Finer Liners. I'm producing 2 models: the ConCeiling (large liner) and the Sleek Ceiling (small liner). All of the names are corny, but they made me laugh. I wanted to name one "The Happy Feeling Ceiling," but i guess that's unprofessional...

Here is the thread that i have started for Finer Liners.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry18077264

Canvas ConCeiling:

As a MY01 owner, I used to look at a hideous carpet center console. I got tired of it fast, so I came up with a simple vinyl cover. I created a Center Console Cover DIY for everyone, but measuring out the pattern is a royal pain. I'm going to start producing them for anyone who wants to save themselves the trouble of making their own. I can have them embroidered if anyone wants to add a little more flare to their interior.

Center Console Cover

I got with the seamstress on thursday, and we turned out the finished product. It is really hard to get good pics of the liner. The wrinkles etc. are not near as pronounced. I'll be bringing the liner to the next S2k Atlanta meet, so i'll be able to get some opinions on the actual liner rather than just a picture.

We also finished up the simple liner that doesn't hide the mechanics of the top. The stitching is the same as the stitching on the full-sized liner. It looks the same as the one i posted originally.

The liners will be backed with 1" thick quilt batting and felt. The full-sized liner provides insulation and cuts down on wind noise, making it perfect for the winter months. The top will go down with it installed, but it will have to be adjusted to fit right when you raise it again. The velcro will also probably wear out if you raise and lower it frequently. However, the simple liner is unaffected by dropping the top.

I noticed that other convertibles come with roof liners that really improve the look of their interiors, not to mention reducing noise and increasing insulation. The only option for the S2000 is over $550+shipping from Germany, but it lines the entire roof.

I have been working on a head liner for the S2K, and i'm finally satisfied with the design. I like the looks of what i have, but there are a few improvements yet to be done. I believe there is a DIY for a roof liner, but i started from scratch to ensure that it functioned and fit perfectly.

I'm thinking about selling vinyl, canvas, fleece and possibly suede liners. I'm getting a lot less hours at work. i have lots of time on my hands, and i need the $. I have been brainstorming about this nonstop.

I plan to offer vinyl and embroidery/stitching colors for all interiors: black, silver, red, dark red, yellow, white, tan, blue, and navy blue, but I am concerned that white and yellow would be hard to keep clean. Basically anything i or you can find, i can make a liner out of it. I came across black/white and red/black checkered at the store- i'm curious to see how they would look good on GPW and NFR.

I would like these to be both aesthetically appealing, as well as functional, so i am going to try to make a vinyl/canvas liner that is also lined with fleece, felt, and/or quilt batting (the white fuzzy padding). I think it would help deaden sound and possibly provide insulation.

I haven't tried to source any canvas or leather yet. I wanted to make a working "prototype" in vinyl first. I believe i will be able to get the same colors in fleece, and canvas (except silver?).

All sorts of customization would be available. The embroidery options are basically limitless- custom writing, designs, and vinyl shapes etc. I may also be able to install studs, possibly on a heavier grade vinyl. A starry sky on a black back drop may look nice. I could use fasteners on the sides instead of stitches. That would open up options: different types of fasteners and different patterns they're applied in. It would probably look like a biker jacket though unless done right... Hollow fasteners ("eyelets?) might look good.

I'm really not sure what the pricing would be, and i need to work out a lot of details. I need to ensure durability (heat, wear, etc.). I just wanted to find out if anyone was interested first.

The liner really cleans up the interior, and it looks good with the top down/going down. I plan to offer them with a vinyl or canvas S. It could be embroidered with one or two borders, allowing for 2 different colors. The S is only glued on in the pics below, and the S shape needs a bit of tweaking. I will be designing a new one and making it smaller. I'm interested in a smaller S placed in the middle near the handle on the front plate of the top. It would be a little more subtle, and when the top was down, the S would still be displayed.

I plan to stitch the right and left edges rather than glue them, but i need to see how it looks first (and get my sewing machine working right).

The liners are held in place by the rubber trim on the front plate, velcro, and elastic. They would come with everything you need to install it. No permanent modification is required . The outline of the velcro does show through the top at the front slightly, but i don't have pics of that yet.

I invite any opinions, comments, or criticisms. Let me know what you think. I believe i can pull off just about anything you come up with, but cost and production time will vary a lot.

As suzuka-blue-s2k and JFUSION suggested below, I may design a liner that covers the next section and sides and possibly the entire top with a fleece-lined vinyl, if there is enough interest in a product like that. They would probably require me to use glue, but i am pretty confident i found a glue that will work. It seems as though it would cut down on wind/traffic noise and provide insulation. I will need to verify this before selling any though. A fleece lined top that covers the entire roof would probably prevent the top from going down. It might be very nice to have during the winter months, especially if it provides insulation.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a German company that did this a few years back.

And you'll have to buy a sponsorship in order to sell these on s2ki.com.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 PM

The moderators were kind enough to unlock the thread for the time being.

I want to emphasize that i don't have any liners for sale, and i'm not taking orders.

I only created this thread to see if i should pursue this project any further. Your feedback is much appreciated!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM

i would def be interested in one for sure if the price is right. something around $100-150
Old 11-30-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice! Are you going to try and make one that covers everything on the roof? Basically so it looks like a normal roof without all of the hinges and stuff showing? Or is it just the front roof section? Iv seen one that covers everything but the search is down right now so I cant look for it. If its something like that for a good price I would definetly be intersested! Good job!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice idea. the giant S looks a little tacky though IMO. But good job, lemme know if u end up doing anything
Old 11-30-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont like the way the S looks when the top is down but this is a good idea and if refined properly I see a market for.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link for the liner I saw. Supposedly they had a group buy for it a few years ago. But if you could come up with something like this, it would be awesome!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=301548&st=0
Old 11-30-2009, 05:07 PM

I doubt i will be able to make one that lines the entire roof, I haven't really thought about it, but if i have time, i'll give it a shot. Actually... I really want to try that. Dropping the top would be the only problem. It would be tricky with that many folds.

Here is the S2000 Inner Roof made by the German company. Right now they are 369 Euro or $550+shipping. If i did make one, it wouldn't cost anywhere near that. I will probably be able to make one the covers all the way back, but i don't know about the hinges... Anything i do make will not require permanent modification. I don't like irreversible mods... i'm afraid of commitment. The one i'm currently working on only requires stick-on velcro in places that aren't visible.

As for price, I would prefer not to comment due to the nature of this thread, but i would really like your input on that too. I can say that the vinyl, fleece, and canvas will probably all be the same price, and I want to be reasonable with it.

I had another idea this afternoon. Lining the vinyl with fleece or felt would probably help lower noise and retain heat/cold. Just a thought. It would be nice to do that to a liner that covered the entire roof. That would look great and probably make a huge different.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:14 PM

On second thought, a fleece-lined vinyl liner that covered the entire roof might still be nice during the winter months when the top stays up. it could even be designed to hide the latches...

I'm getting way ahead of myself...

Quick Reply: S2000 Roof Liners