S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000s with 4/5+ owners

Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the 4th or 5th owner of my 06...no cares given. If the car has a clean title then why would someone care how many PO's there were?
Old 02-08-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

IMO, it doesn't matter how many POs your car had, but if you're considering buying one with many POs, you have to look at the car a little more carefully. If mods were installed & removed and the electrical system was spliced into and/or modified, you should have more concern. There are a few threads in the UTH forum that talk about guys that have some electrical gremlins caused by electrical mods made by previous owners.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
IMO, it doesn't matter how many POs your car had, but if you're considering buying one with many POs, you have to look at the car a little more carefully.
I agree.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazyrider69
Originally Posted by jamesac83' timestamp='1423435812' post='23498418
with the age range of the car being 7-15 years old, is it really that shocking? at 15 years old, the car changes hands on average of once every 3 years. Multiple owners isn't that big of a deal, how the car was treated over the years is.

Well, I have owned a 1997 Honda Civic since new that is driven to train station daily by the girlfriend, a 2005 Subaru Outback that is my daily that I owned since new and my 2002 S2000 that had one previous owner....

So, none of my cars changed hands that often. Like I say to people all the time when they want to trade in their cars every 3 years and piss away all that $$$$

DO YOU CHANGE YOUR REFRIGERATOR, WASHER MACHINE, HOT WATER HEATER every 3 years??? So why your car????
I never get a good answer.... lol
Just because you don't doesn't mean it applies to everyone else. Having your cars for as long as you is above average.

I think jax makes the best point:
S2000 is not a car "normal" people would keep for a long time. Many buy it impulsively and find it is not the most practical car. Some buy it as weekend cars and find themselves not driving as much as forecasted.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by electricmarauder
Originally Posted by Lazyrider69' timestamp='1423436521' post='23498433
[quote name='jamesac83' timestamp='1423435812' post='23498418']
with the age range of the car being 7-15 years old, is it really that shocking? at 15 years old, the car changes hands on average of once every 3 years. Multiple owners isn't that big of a deal, how the car was treated over the years is.

Well, I have owned a 1997 Honda Civic since new that is driven to train station daily by the girlfriend, a 2005 Subaru Outback that is my daily that I owned since new and my 2002 S2000 that had one previous owner....

So, none of my cars changed hands that often. Like I say to people all the time when they want to trade in their cars every 3 years and piss away all that $$$$

DO YOU CHANGE YOUR REFRIGERATOR, WASHER MACHINE, HOT WATER HEATER every 3 years??? So why your car????
Just because you don't doesn't mean it applies to everyone else. Having your cars for as long as you is above average.

I think jax makes the best point:
S2000 is not a car "normal" people would keep for a long time. Many buy it impulsively and find it is not the most practical car. Some buy it as weekend cars and find themselves not driving as much as forecasted.
[/quote]

I don't deny that I keep my car unusually long. When I was young, I was trading in every 3 years or less sometimes and losing a lot of $$$$. I learned my lesson as I got older..... bought a home etc. But not having any car payments is foreign to a lot of people but I enjoy it.... And that BU$#$#$ that people say about maintenance costing a lot as a car ages is a lie....

But don't I have a point about the refrigerator and washer machine???? I mean... think about it.... If you bought any of those items and they only lasted 2 or 3 years and needed to be replaced, you'd be pissed. We are conditioned to think we need a new car every few years.... That's my point... People can do whatever they want....
Old 02-08-2015, 05:39 PM

You're not the only one man, I've had my EM1 since '02.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I think some used car dealers like to take them on in the summer and drive them themselves, in some cases this may count as an owner.

If they don't sell them themselves, the car goes to a different dealer.

Really not a plus or minus on a specific car, but might explain the numbers of owners
Old 02-08-2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyrider69
Originally Posted by jamesac83' timestamp='1423435812' post='23498418

I average owning a different car for every year since I've had my license, and that leaves me with 15 cars owned. My outlook is alot different than yours, but even then a few of those cars had owners that owned them for much longer than me and never drove them. For instance, the previous owner of my BMW only drove the car 2k miles in 2 years, in my mind that barely registers as owning the car. Of course, I on the other hand drive my cars a lot (except for the S, oddly) to the tune of over 30k miles a year. So, I guess I've lost track of my point.. haha. My cars have all been treated and maintained very well, I just don't tend to keep them around for very long.. If I did, I'd never be able to sell them due to mileage probably. I will say that a 2 seat sports car is hard to keep around if you don't have a second car, and some people aren't ready for that change when they purchase one. Prior to my S, I had a C6 Corvette as my only car and it wasn't easy to deal with the lack of space most of the time, and space wise the S is worse.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesac83
U talk about MY2000, the cars I posted are 2006,2007,2008,2009.
I would most likely pass on anything with more then 3 owners, unless it was in a rare color combination (GPW, or CR).
Or I would be checking it extra cautious for body work, abuse. I'm picky about these things.

Multiple owners is ok, 5 or 6 owners though.... Lol
And u really think your car is gonna be a collectible with that many owners??

Old 02-09-2015, 04:25 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

My only issue is that I find that short-term owners don't take care of the car. They figure they can beat on it a bit and then sell it, so the cars can need additional TLC.

Quick Reply: S2000s with 4/5+ owners