S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Seeking S2000 experts and gurus (maybe someone like Xviper...)!!!

Old 08-28-2003, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened so quickly that I don't remember if the clutch was pressed in. If I had to do it again, I think I would've steered it better. As for the rattles, I guess they're from the front and back. I just noticed more racketty noises.

So none of you know about the possible damages? Oh, where is the man--Xviper? Well, at least from the informative posts I've read of his, he would have an idea. So you don't know why the car didn't turn back on the first few "pushes of the button", then finally turned on very weakly? It had to do something with the spark plugs, huh? Anyhoo, I already made an appointment with a dealership for them to take a look at it. I was hoping they would've done it today, but who knew I was supposed to make an appointment.

Well, for you future trackers (or is it trackies?), the S has a huge tendency to fishtail, so be careful not to push too hard in the corners.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:01 PM

i've been told that when you spin out the fuel in the tank is moved back and forth, causing some spots to not contain fuel, so when you tried to start it that's probably what happened. once the fuel has stoped moving so much, the car should start. i'm not sure how true that is, but it makes perfect sense to me.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:07 PM

uh you might want to get your car looked at...
Old 08-28-2003, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SanchothePanda
uh you might want to get your car looked at...
Uh, thanx for the advice, but I think that's what the appt. at the dealership is for. Sorry, don't mean to be a smartass or anything. However, I wanted to see what the S2000 experts, who happen to be owners themselves, would have to say.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:55 PM

1)Sorry, I didn't see anything in your post about a dealer appointment.

2)There is an S2000 in the family, which I have spun, it's just that the VIN got logged into a screenname other than this one, which was then abandoned but not erased, so I can't log it in.

3) no worries, I'm often a smartass myself
Old 08-28-2003, 11:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

First, xviper is on vacation. Last I heard he was in Victoria, BC after having come to visit us in Seattle on Tuesday night.

Second, if the clutch was not depressed when the car rolled back it is likely that some internal damage could have been done.

Depending on the speeds and severity of the spin, I would not expect any significant suspension damage, though doing that too many times will definitely lead to an early failure of suspension parts.

I would expect any damage to be either engine or differential.

It's never easy to diagnose these things over the internet, but if you can further identify the location and type of the sounds you hear that concern you it might be helpful in giving you a better idea of what sorts of things to look out for.

I know...I know...this wasn't a very helpful response, but hopefully with a little more information from you some likely culprits can be identified.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you hear the sounds whilst in neutral and revving the engine? If so you've probably got some engine damage. Could be a belt valve or rod or worse (sorry).

If the problem only occurs when rolling then the problem is more probably drive train or suspension. If you got a big knock on one of the wheels it can cause the axle to bend and the wheel will spin badly.

As you can tell, the diagnosis really depends on when the problem occurs.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:57 AM

It's unlikely that you've hurt anything internally with the engine. When it comes to spinning the engine backwards, about the only thing that is affected is the snatch that the cam chain is subjected to. The reason for this is that the ignition timing is predicated upon a certain amount of advance and that can only be achieved if the crankshaft/camshafts are turning in the correct direction. By spinning the engine backwards, ignition timing is severely retarded. . . if in fact it even fires at all. Think about it for a minute. Power is generated by burning the a/f mixture at a certain "timing" during the crankshaft revolution which is determined by the ignition MAP sensor information. As a matter of fact, back in the early 70's, Yamaha made a little dirt bike with a 60cc 2-stroke engine that would actually run backwards. While this isn't really comparable to our engine, it's interesting to note. What made this particular engine able to run backwards was it's square design(the bore was the same as the stroke). It ran like crap backwards due to the reverse in ignition timing, but it WOULD run backwards.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:21 AM

I did the same thing the first time I took mine on the track. Mine wouldn't start either. But the reason mine wouldn't start was because with my heart pounding and my hands shaking, I completely forgot about the Start button and sat there breathing rubber and turning the key for about half a minute, even though I'd been driving the car for at least a year. So you handled yourself a lot better than I did.

So they have mechanics in heaven? And car dealerships? What next, lawyers?
Old 08-29-2003, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CutieBonny
[B]Well, then the engine died.

Quick Reply: Seeking S2000 experts and gurus (maybe someone like Xviper...)!!!