S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Seeking S2000 experts and gurus (maybe someone like Xviper...)!!!

Old 08-29-2003, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by s2k_9000rpm
i've been told that when you spin out the fuel in the tank is moved back and forth, causing some spots to not contain fuel, so when you tried to start it that's probably what happened. once the fuel has stoped moving so much, the car should start. i'm not sure how true that is, but it makes perfect sense to me.
Sounds like a reasonable theory. I've seen it happen when sport bikes are dropped. It takes a few starts to start them. However, I do not know if the same applies to cars. A bike being dropped (fuel tank would be then on it's side) seems a lot different than a car being spun around.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your electronic engine control may have been "upset" by the spin. You can reset the ECU either by removing the ground cable from your battery for several minutes, or use this library topic https://www.s2ki.com/article/articleview/5/1/8/

If you remove the ground cable on the battery, you'll have to re-enter your radio code and reset the presets on the radio.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, everyone for the responses! I hope everything will be fine once it's checked by the dealership. So far, it seems to be fine, but just to be sure, they'll be checking the suspension as well.

On a different note, so when the car starts to oversteer, push on the gas more to correct it? I thought it was the other way around; lighten the gas and correctly steer the car out of a fishtailing situation.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CutieBonny
[B]Thanks, everyone for the responses!
Old 08-31-2003, 07:46 AM

I've found most of the car's oversteer is usually throttle induced by an over-aggressive driver. If you get on the gas too early while exiting a corner, the rear will step out on you. In this situation, a little throttle lift is the correct method to straighten the car out. But as previously stated, if you have the car in a sweeper and are at the limit of adhesion, throttle lift will get the car rotating. Not always a complete spinout, but it will definitely lighten up the rear end. My most violent spinout was VTEC induced. Don't cross 6000 rpms at the apex of a corner. My more typical spins are from coming into sweepers just way too hot. In that case, there's nothing you can do. You should have braked more, and you're paying the price.

Your motor is fine. You stalled it. It took a few seconds to settle down and start back up. Not a big deal. There won't be any damage.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:25 AM

It's not "abnormal" to be not able to immediately restart our car after a severe spin sometimes, if the engine dies. Why that is, I don't know. There's a thread talking about just that. All I know is it does not seem to damage the engine.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:22 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spider
[B]It's not "abnormal" to be not able to immediately restart our car after a severe spin sometimes, if the engine dies.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"oil got thrown around"...what nonsense - there should be a law that if someone is clueless, they should keep quiet - that dealer is full of beans.

There are some cars where there is a mercury switch that cuts off electrical power to the started if a car spins wildly or flips - this is done to reduce chance of fire - Fords have this - not aware that Honda does.

You may have flooded the engine - to deal with that, floor the accelerator while cranking until the engine catches, then of course let up immediately. I have seen a number of Hondas by the roadside with distressed owners, and the few times I have stopped, I was able to get the car running again immedfiately by using the "flood clear" mode.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:06 AM

You need to disconnect the main fuse in the engine compartment for a few seconds, then it will be fine.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:10 PM

I'm Surprised you fishtailed at all??

I tracked my car when it was 2 days old, and got it to drift, but never to fishtail...

Were you running stock rubber? how much tread? and did someone leak something on the track?

In my experience, i've only gotten it to fishtail, when I took a street turn way too fast, or it was intentional...

Hope it all turns out well!

Quick Reply: Seeking S2000 experts and gurus (maybe someone like Xviper...)!!!