S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Seeking S2000 experts and gurus (maybe someone like Xviper...)!!!

Old 09-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
[B]"oil got thrown around"...what nonsense - there should be a law that if someone is clueless, they should keep quiet - that dealer is full of beans.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Evil G
I'm Surprised you fishtailed at all??

I tracked my car when it was 2 days old, and got it to drift, but never to fishtail...

Were you running stock rubber? how much tread? and did someone leak something on the track?

In my experience, i've only gotten it to fishtail, when I took a street turn way too fast, or it was intentional...

Hope it all turns out well!
Fishtailing is when the rear gets too "happy" and starts to slide sideway, right? If so, then it's very very easy to get an S to fishtail. Just give it gas coming out of an apex and it'll fishtail.

Anyhoo, my rear tires are Yoko ES100, 245/16; pretty new too. My fronts are still stock. I'm going to upgrade to 18" wheels and 265/18 in the rear. Hopefully, fatter tires will reduce fishtailing a little.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CutieBonny
[B]

Fishtailing is when the rear gets too "happy" and starts to slide sideway, right?
Old 09-02-2003, 05:35 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are many things that can cause an S2000 to oversteer or fishtail. Tires, alignment, driver input, ect. I spun my car many times on the track and once or twice it didn't want to restart. One time I removed the key and put it back in and it started right up, the other time it started after a few seconds. I've seen several S2000's do this and I wouldn't be the least bit worried about it or any suspension damage. In fact I think you'll be throwing money away taking it to the dealer. Just my opinion of course.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:55 AM
pfb

[B]
Anyhoo, my rear tires are Yoko ES100, 245/16; pretty new too.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by pfb

Grippy stock OEM S02's in the front and much less grippy economy ES100 Yoko's in the rear is a *really* bad idea, especially if you are going to be pushing your car.

Get all four tires the same, either OEM S02's in stock sizes, or 225/245 F/R aftermarket tires. Make sure inflation is the same across all the tires, I'd go 32-38 hot, possibly a pound or two less in the rear to improve grip.

If you are still overdriving the car, try replacing the front sway bar with a stiffer Mugen, Gendron or Saner bar.
I 2nd that, but I think you meant 205/245 with stock suspension. 225/245 will tune the car toward oversteer...
Old 09-02-2003, 12:55 PM

[B]

That makes sense!
Old 09-02-2003, 01:02 PM

Fishtailing and spinning out are different as I apply them - fishtailing is caused by a sudden swerve, and then an overreacting steer the other way (or compensating too late) causing a loss of control. This can be side to side until eventually you hit something, stop, or spinout.

In driving school, one is taught the physics of it, and then taught how as soon as one swerves, to plan the compensating steering the other way. Most people wait too long. After you do it a few times, it becomes automatic (Zen?), just like how to apply opposite lock when in a skid (terminal under/oversteer) condition.

BTW, in driving school, a skid is defined as anytime one wheel is moving faster than antoehr - it is a matter of controlling the skid. Any turn is therefore a spin, just a question of control and getting through the corner. It is amazing, but after several days of instruction and track time, you will find that almost any skid can be controlled. I swear that I saw the tail end of my car out of the corner of my eye (more than 45 deg of skid angle) and yet recovered.

When my 5-year old daughter is ready to drive, she and I will attend such a driving school so she learns how to drive the right way, and that skid correction, trail braking, oppopsite lock, etc are terms she does not confuse.

..oh yeah...and fishtailing.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:11 PM

I know this is off topic but why does cutiebonny get to use a custom avatar without being a member?
Old 09-02-2003, 02:22 PM

Everyone has offered some very good insight to what may/may not be wrong with your vehicle. I'm not a combustion engine expert but you'll get the same problem mowing your grass, if you whack a clump of something and it kills the motor, you'll have to yank the pull start a few times to get it going, then it idles funny, smoke blows out and it eventually returns to normal operation after a few seconds.

I would go with what others have suggested, reset the ECU and check your plugs, both are easy do-at-home tasks. Having the service department check it out can't hurt too much either unless they do find damage and say it was owner negligence that caused it.

Quick Reply: Seeking S2000 experts and gurus (maybe someone like Xviper...)!!!