S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Should Honda replace the rear window for safety reasons?

Old 11-16-2000, 02:51 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my car in June and have polished the window twice with Meguires #17 and #10. Maintain with Plexus every 2nd wash and always have my mat in place. My window is clear as glass except for the optical distortion one gets from looking through plastic. I have a couple of scratches from my pre-mat days but they are very slight. Prior to polishing I had some approx 1 inch high strips the width of the window that were quite hazy. I think this was due to it rubbing in the well. Since I've been using the mat this problem seems to have ceased. Of course I still clean my window to counter the effects of rain and other environmental 'grime'.

Aaron.. I agree ...a window you can't see through has got to be a safety hazard.

[This message has been edited by Muz (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old 11-16-2000, 10:21 AM

ok, opinions...

my car was originally bought in October 99. I bought it in August 2000. The window had a crease and some scratches. I polished out the scratches such that its only a pain if the sun is low behind you, or someone has bright headlights behind you (dimming the mirror fixes this problem though).

The crease, however makes things pretty distorted out the rear. So much so that you cant really tell what kind of car is behind you (its clear, just distorted, so no fogging issues).

given the delivery date of the car, can I use the logic of "the TSB was released well after the car was sold, thus the scratching occured before the owner knew how to properly care for the window"?

Fire away the opinions... That (and my noisy clutch) are my biggest gripes with the car. Hopefully when I get my car in for the tranny work, I can persuade them for a new clutch, thus curing all my woes

thanks!
Old 11-16-2000, 02:30 PM

AaronS2K,

That was the argument that seemed to get mine replaced. Cleaning wasn't the problem. It was the crease and several dimples that distorted everything. The new one appears to susceptible to this as well though. I've purchased the miata tube and plan to do something for the well.
Old 11-16-2000, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Pueo:
AaronS2K,

That was the argument that seemed to get mine replaced. Cleaning wasn't the problem. It was the crease and several dimples that distorted everything. The new one appears to susceptible to this as well though. I've purchased the miata tube and plan to do something for the well.

That is exactly what I told my dealer. And he said "Yea I now know what you are talking about" He is getting the window replaced tomorrow. But on a one time Courtesy thing unless they come out with an update to the rear window I will not be able to replace under warranty again.

Old 11-16-2000, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2K_CLS:
[B]That (and my noisy clutch) are my biggest gripes with the car.