S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Speedcraft Turbo kit

Old 11-06-2001, 11:16 AM
i 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

building the bottom end: resleeving the block, lower compression pistons, stronger rods. That way you can boost alot more and make alot more power, you should also do some head work(at least stiffer valve springs to prevent valve float) , and talk to hondata(www.hondata.com) and see if they can make a nice boost program for your ECU.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:51 AM

Ah, of course. I personally would like to and eventually tune up a 1khp monster, but I don't think there are that many internals parts at this point. No pistons, no rods, valves? cams? camshafts? I don't know I've seen any of that made for the s2k. It's just too early, and honestly, I doubt enough people will want to go the same route I have. The market just isn't large enough, and people who DO by the s2k (more often than not) like it as a showpiece.

Speaking of that, anyone seen Bieg in the last half year or so? I haven't heard any "for-stock" arguments lately.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:45 AM

shhhhhh . . .
Old 11-07-2001, 10:49 AM

I'm just reading through this post with some interest. More HP and torque always catches my attention. Sounds like an interesting idea, this Turbo kit, but I see a couple of problems. It sounds like too much is still up in the air in the design AT THIS TIME. I'm sure the future will provide design changes that will enhance the system, but AT THIS TIME I would not be interested in bolting $8k stuff on my S, not be street legal in my state (California ), and not have something that has been tested over time - even a short length of time.

I'm a Comptech SC owner and satisfied. The car drives just like it did when I took delivery - just pulls you back in the seat a bit more. I can pass smog when that becomes necessary - no payoff necessary. I'm guessing Comptech is thinking of the market they have for version II and upgrades (you know, like Microsoft Windows) - something for air cooling and ever-so-slightly more boost. I have my credit card ready!

I admire you guys that are willing to put your car on the line for such tests. We'd never have gotten off the ground except for those Wright brother guys! I just hope you don't crash and burn (explode) a perfectly good car in the process.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:58 PM

Sounds to me like someone is having regrets about buying a super, is a little bit jealous and is trying to justify his existance..

Just kidding.... :cough:

heheheh
Old 11-07-2001, 03:40 PM

External wastegates releasing into the atmosphere are illegal - period, end of story. Plumb your WG back into the downpipe and its legal. BOVs in no way - ever, are the cause of emissions. If you are running a MAF, the intake charge released from the BOV has to be brought in after the MAF, pre turbo - because the ECU has already accounted for it.
BOV's aren't used in cheaper kits because piping costs money. If you want to have the intake charge slam against the turbo's impeller's when the throttle body closes - dont run a BOV - and you'll have a serious case of premature wear on the turbo. Remember, when you let you off the gas, the throttle body closes, but the turbo is still above atmospheric - the intake charge runs into a brick wall and reverses itself.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:41 PM

I think the bov/wg issue is somewhat resolved.. not to be rude or anything, but that was a month ago, too.
Old 11-08-2001, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by cjb80 Sounds to me like someone is having regrets about buying a super, is a little bit jealous and is trying to justify his existence..

Just kidding.... :cough: heheheh
So far, the supercharger has been the best addition to my S. Bolted on correctly, it worked perfectly. The only negative results has been a 2 mpg loss in fuel economy. With gas coming down in price like it has lately, the oil companies may soon be paying me to use their products, so fuel economy isn't such a big issue. Oh yes, and 28 mpg isn't that bad anyway.

I've had both TC and SC cars (two of each). So far, I've found SC to be better. My experience is that turbo's have a lag time. My last SC was a roots type - this one is centrifugal. I believe turbo's are of the centrifugal type. Maybe this is why the Comptech SC also has lag.

I don't notice much difference up to 6K rpm. However, that may be a part of the VTEC process with the Honda engine. I've learned that as long as the tach is above 6 the car is going to go!

I don't need to justify my existance. My S is supercharged and therefore I am!
Old 11-17-2001, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by BigWave10
Here's a thought....

WHO CARES!

Derryck's kit is not meant to be emissions compliant by most states requirements. Florida for the most part no longer has emissions. If you live in Fla. or you have a way around it in your state buy it, use it. If not sit back and be patient. Something for you Cali and other people will be available before you know it.

I've run turbo's with and without "snort" valves. When possible use one. You guys are beating this to death for little reason.
I was gonna say the same thing, man.