S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Speedcraft Turbo kit

Old 09-26-2001, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the estimated hp gain?
Old 09-27-2001, 02:38 AM
Banned

i live in cali and was wondering...

how would you get caught for using a turbo that isn't emissions legal? what would the penalties and consequenses?
don't a lot of people install their illegal turbo setups anyways?
how do they get away with that?
Old 09-27-2001, 04:49 AM

derryck, chime in if I'm wrong here, but I believe he's running 6psi at about 330 whp? (or was it 330 at the crank...)

cd
Old 09-27-2001, 05:16 AM

Chris,
I run 6 psi pretty much all of time, I have run 8 psi on a couple of occassions. The way I'm set up right now is that if my boost controller is turned off then boost is controlled by the spring actuator in the wastegate which is about 4 psi. As soon as I turn on my boost controller, it overrides the spring actuator and the Profec (boost controller) controls boost which is normally set to 6 psi. There are very noticable power differences between 4, 6 and 8 psi. Dwight (mechanic at Speedcraft) fabricated my exhaust using two Apexi N1 metal series mufflers which look and sound great. With this type of set up, you should put down around 300 RWHP. Not alot more than the SC'ed cars but the power curves are considerably different. I beat the crap out of a mildly souped up LX 5.0 Mustang on the way to work this morning (highway speeds 60-90 mph) and never entered VTEC. At 4 psi, we put down 260 RWHP and it was still a huge improvement in the low end and midrange. Let me know when you get into town Chris and I'll let you drive mine to see what your getting yourself into.
Old 09-27-2001, 07:50 AM

I saw those apexi exhaust pics.. they look absolutely sweet. Maybe we're getting into more PM territory here, but can I ask how much they cost? I'm getting in a bit over my head already with the 6 grand plus labor, plus gauges (while I'm still trying to think about a brake conversion, stock calipers are so wimpy )..

cd
Old 09-27-2001, 08:10 AM

The regular Apexi N1 mufflers are around $230 each, the metal series are more but I'm not sure how much. When you get gauges, I would suggest either the Greddy or Apexi's w/ memory function. You can call me if you (904 994-1048). When you get your car back, I'm sure you won't regret spending the money.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:19 AM

You'd get caught during the smog test.

Read what vtecvoodoo had to do in one of the posts above.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jayel
[B]i live in cali and was wondering...

how would you get caught for using a turbo that isn't emissions legal?
Old 09-27-2001, 09:39 AM

This is for the Cali members....

Cops know wtf they are looking at these days. The have been educated. If they see a FMIC on a Honda they KNOW what you have done. I have 3 turbo`d friends that were pulled over, hoods were popped, and are being sent to the ref. This basically means they need to pull the entire turbo kit off the car and pray to god they can pass. After that, they can install the kit again and play more russian roulette. Sound fun?

And, any AFTERMARKET turbo kit for a HONDA (not mitsubishi) with a BOV will NOT pass a smog test. Go to greddy`s site, their CARB approved kit does not include BOV for a reason.

Like I said, I`ve had two turbo`d hondas and they are a blast But, the Comptech SC makes the car fun enough for me and if I get pulled over I`ll point to the CARB number and tell the cop to get the flock outta here

Ryan
Old 09-27-2001, 09:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vtecvoodoo
[B]Cops know wtf they are looking at these days. The have been educated.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, but on turbo'd Hondas with a BOV wouldn't it be reasonably easy to plumb it so you could relatively easily install a blank-off on that "port" for smog purposes? I'm still assuming you'd have to buy a CARB certified turbo kit to show valid credentials at smog-time.

And there used to be a hefty fine the CHP's could levy if they caught you on the road, like $500. Don't know if it still applies.

Quick Reply: Speedcraft Turbo kit