S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

This weekend: S2000 vs. M3 & S2000 vs. Deville 8 Cylinder 4.6L

Old 03-12-2001, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha...had some fun this weekend.

Friday night: M3

M3
5 - Speed
Dinan Cold Air Intake
Stage II Chip

Most of the races didn't surpass 70mph because we were blowing each other away on launches. Not far from the stoplight...we concluded most of our battles. In my eyes we only had two instances where we both had equal reaction times to the light and had pretty good launches:

1. Near the end of our outing, both maddogtx
and I had a race where we had pretty damn equal launches...I was ahead by 1/2 a car length through 1st and 2nd, then when I tried shifting into third...I hit inbetween gate 3 and 5. Darn.

2. The last race of the outing, we also had a pretty equal launch. maddogtx creeped up a car length and some around 60...and when we reached +130 MPH...I was on his bumper (car length behind).

Conclusion:

Comparing the condition of our cars that night...the M3 and my S2000 seemed pretty damn equal when it came to drag racing on the streets. It seemed so close that whoever had a better reaction time to the light would win. And of course...the launch was the ultimate key to victory.

Afterthoughts:

Racing a car with pretty equal 0-60 MPH acceleration...pushed me to drive the car to the utter maximum performance.

The 245/35/18 Toyo Proxes T1-S definatley did not have the gripping power of the S02's. I can't launch more than 6.2 K RPM...without spinning the rear like crazy. The M3 guy said I had a pretty loud 3rd gear chirp (tire scream). I will have to rematch this guy with my stock 16's and S02's.

I met the M3 guy (alone in his M3) with my girlfriend in the car (5'5" @ 115 lb.)...next time I'm going to try it with just me.

Sunday Night: Deville

Deville
8 Cylinder
4.6 L
300 HP
295 Torque

I spend the weekend in Austin with 5 friends that rented 2 Deville's. They were picking on me about having all this room in the car, and more power*. I was jealous of the extra cabin room...but no way was I going to let them taunt me with that tank; no way I was going to let them compare the power to weight ratio!!!

Because a drag race would be unfair because of their weight...we raced while already moving.

On the way back to Houston, coordinated by our cb radio's we had a couple good runs while already moving at 60MPH. Let's just say the Deville has a good "bite" to it because of the torque and the automatic transmission. 60MPH to about 80MPH...I had to struggle to pull away.

But...it's a different story after 90MPH. That's when I left the Deville by leaps and bounds (thank you VTEC).

Note:

Both races took place where other automobiles were out of site. If you are going to risk your life and the person you are racing...those are your choices...but do not involve the innocent.

[Edited by Unicron on 03-12-2001 at 03:34 PM]
Old 03-12-2001, 07:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a pretty good time was had by all.

by the way... it may be in my head, but I think i can feel my car being slower with my stock wheels (heavier and narrower) than my volks? You too??

Scot
Old 03-12-2001, 07:46 AM

To Unicron: Pat on back.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:25 AM

Good job. I found a bunch of straight line racers around 2AM Saturday night. I didn't want to do a clutch drop so asked if anyone wanted to do a rolling start 10mph-90mph run. Well I raced twice on a deserted stretch of road and got beat pretty badly.

First by a mean sounding 98 cobra with about $5000 in mods. He claimed 330 hp at the wheels. Then, I got beat by an Integra. After the race I found out it was a turbocharged GSR. It had all sorts of fancy digital displays added onto the dash. Both pulled away about equally and I lost by about 5 car lengths.

Well needless to say I was a bit depressed. I had 1000 miles on the odometer and a 200 lb passenger. Those were my "excuses." I know this car is not built as a drag racer, but it's fun anyways.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:39 AM

A friend of mine got a new BMW 330CI a few weeks ago. While driving the 70 miles back home from VIR Saturday we were following each other and sizing each other up. On two instances after we slowed for another car turning ahead of us we ran them from a rolling mid first gear start, one behind the other, to about 90. We were dead even both times! I hold some hope that I would have an advantage if we had continued on. If we really got brave (stupid on public roads) I would leave him at 130 when his electronic speed limiter cuts in! Hee Hee.

Anyway, I'm very impressed with his car. Great performance and room for 4 1/2 passengers!
Old 03-12-2001, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE]
Sounds like a pretty good time was had by all.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Allan Haggai
[B]we ran them from a rolling mid first gear start, one behind the other, to about 90.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:07 AM

erik,

Great observation. If you were under vtec in first gear while racing the 330, results will not be as satisfying as compared to if you were already in vtec before punching it.

If it was me...and this 330 guy wanted to race while you guys are already moving.

This is what I would do:

If you are rolling in 1st gear and not in vtec, and you anticipate the 330 ready to gun it.

1. Step on the clutch
2. Rev the engine to about 5.5 - 6 K RPM
3. Pop the clutch and feel the tires spin!
4. Feather the gas so you keep above 6K

The 330 wouldn't have a chance if you can get the above steps coordinated with his take off.

[Edited by Unicron on 03-12-2001 at 10:10 AM]
Old 03-12-2001, 09:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unicron
1. Step on the clutch
Old 03-12-2001, 09:40 AM

I live in the Bayarea, CA and I barely ever get challenged. Its weird, this is supposed to be racer central and all I get are 1980's Golf's and maybe a Prelude here and there. No real challenges so I don't risk a ticket and waste my time, but after more and three weeks of barely any vtec at all (rarely go past 4-5k rpm in normal driving anymore) it gets kinda boring. I don't know what it is, the real challengers just kinda ignore me, and the sh*tboxes always wanna race... What gives.

Its always funny to see a 1980's Golf strain like crazy to keep up with me driving the speed limit though.

Nice kills to all (but really, a 330 should be no challenge), and Unicron, 18's will slow down your car a bit. Should smoke him with the stocks and S02's though.

Quick Reply: This weekend: S2000 vs. M3 & S2000 vs. Deville 8 Cylinder 4.6L