S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

what is the best way to get more power?

Old 07-11-2002, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best way to get more power?

I really like the s2000, I test drove one today however there is a major lack in power. I've read on the the superchargers. I am looking at the vortech or comptech. Which is better? I'm leaning tward the vortech. Pease tell me the good and the bad.

Thanks,

Sam
Old 07-11-2002, 09:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll probably get people debating you about a "serious lack of power," but there are a few directions you can go regarding increasing hp. First the superchargers. Nobody has any personal experience with the Vortech, so any comments you get will most likely be speculation. My guess is there won't be too much difference between the two. Second, turbocharging. There's a great deal of room for upping the power if you have the money to properly build and tune it. Finally, the N/A route. People have seen gains, but it's difficult IMO to put together something without a lot of time - it's like a 1000pc puzzle you have to put together. Intake/header/exhaust, throttlebody, flywheel, heat management, custom ECU, cams, valves, headwork, whatever.

Supercharger, however, is probably the closest to a plug-and-play solution.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:33 PM

WHY?
Old 07-11-2002, 11:06 PM

The best way to gain power is completely up to you. You personally have to take into consideration longevity, reliability, warranty issues, and any other deciding factors.

If you are looking at a strictly bang-for-buck way to get power, then forced induction is your best bet. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:45 PM

Easier solution. Lose some weight I meant the car

You probably get a better answer in the "under the hood" forum.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:08 AM

Best way to have more power ???.........Buy a corvette !!!
Old 07-12-2002, 08:21 AM

honestly, if you think the S has a serious lack of power then I don't think it's the car for you. i'm not trying to be an ass, but this car is not for everyone. if you're born and raised on high torque cars then there's nothing you can do to replicate that feeling and no amount of $ or time will get you where you want to be.

perhaps you're better off with a Mustang Cobra or Corvette. i'm not trying to talk you out of the car, i'd just hate for you to plunk down some hard earned $ and not be as in love with your car as I am.

good luck.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:52 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I had a gs-r back in college and found it to be fine. Since then I've had a 660HP supra and now I have a C32 AMG. I know the s2000 was never meant to be a torque or power monster. I do need a second car. My other options are a miata(gay and no power), mr2 spyder(no power), Z3(I live in California and everyone has one), or go for a mustang. Personally I don't like American cars, so the mustang and regular vette are out. I would buy a Z06 in a heart beat, seeing I just bought a 55K car I really don't want to buy another. I'm also trying to save for another house. The s2000 is my best option because I want roadster and really don't need to race anyone but I do want something that will not be embarrassed by some kid with a turbo'ed civic.

Sam
Old 07-12-2002, 09:57 AM

I agree with the posts so far. If you think the S has a serious lack of power better consider another car. You are probably spoiled with former experience of low-end torque. If you are pleased with the S, then you will be very pleased with forced induction.

At this point Comptech is the only complete kit that is CARB legal. Vortech may be here soon. We have many rumors to that effect. So far, I've seen indication of very little HP gain with the Vortech SC. At 6psi boost cooling may be ineffective. I've read that Speedcraft is in a stir. They have a partial kit. I've heard good and bad reports. Their exhaust manifold is very poor design.

Some users have had minor problems with the Comptech SC - brackets cracking. Comptech has always made them good. There's been other wrinkles, but they were corrected earlier. I've had absolutely no problems with mine and would do it again without a thought.

SC buyers will often be hard drivers. I'm not. I just like the extra power when I really need it - and there's more than enough power with the SC. Often it's not the SC that's breaking, it's other things that the extra power (30%) puts stress on. With the SC, the S will actually outperform itself!