S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What (spare)parts to buy when planning on long term ownership?

Old 04-14-2017, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What (spare)parts to buy when planning on long term ownership?

Lately there have been a few people in my area selling their S2000 in parts rather than selling the complete car.
Since I plan to keep this car forever I thought it might be a good idea to gather some (spare) parts now that might become hard to find in the future.

Anyone else doing this? And what are the most important parts to buy if you plan on long term ownership?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:44 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I did this, and it's starting to pay off. However I have lots of parts laying around that I may not use for a while. I kept my eyes open on Ebay and here on the classifieds forum and picked up lots of parts, some that I have used. Here is what I picked up:
  • Used starter - I installed it last year
  • Used alternator. I put new brushes in my original one and I'm still sitting on the other one as a spare.
  • Entire hub assemblies for all four wheels, including knuckles, hubs, calipers, rotors, axles, lower control arms(front), upper control arms (rear). I picked this up cheap on ebay and I've already used many of these parts. When my wheel bearings went out I just swapped out the entire knuckles. My front LCAs need to be changed this summer since the compliance bushings are going out.
  • Headlights: This may be overkill but I bought these years ago in mint shape for a good price and included HID bulbs and ballasts. I figured I will need the HID bulbs eventually.
  • Entire exhaust system, including manifold, cat & cat-back. My exhaust system is on its last leg, so I will probably be installing these in the next year.
  • Two extra sets of rims. My originals are getting pretty rough. I use one set for snow tires. I can get the other spare mounted and ready to swap. Very convenient.
  • Coil packs (new, not used). I'm on borrowed time with my originals and don't want to wait when they start going out.
  • Shocks & spring assemblies: Bought years ago, installed them a few weeks ago when originals went out.