S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will VSA save me from spin outs?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maskdman3' date='Mar 19 2007, 10:59 PM
Does it strike anyone else as humorous that it is mostly Americans (myself included) who are giving advice to a European driver about cornering?
Not really, no. You think we don't have corners in the US?

Besides, NASCAR has lots of corners. NHRA, though, not so much.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only a tool....not a miracle. Pretend you don't have it, that way your driving abilities will match your maturity, experience and skills. Plus you won't kill yourself and more important, those of us around you.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks smurf2k for noticing the problem is not cornering.

I have never ever come unstuck on a corner - here my driving ability is fine. I was just so surprised how easily the back end snapped out - on a straight line. Mainly because the wheels span lost grip and span the back end round before I could react.

Maybe winter tyres are a good investment for the rainy months. Our tyres are the same as yours (Bridgestone RE050).

Agree however that getting myself on a track day is a very good idea - just need my car to get to the magic 1000 mile break-in period. I will then advise on what difference VSA makes.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 AM

If all you are asking is will VSA keep you from coming unglued while accelerating in a straight line? The answer is yes it will. What it cannot save you from are situations where the driver has imparted too much speed/momentum to the car prior to VSA engaging -such as attempting to enter a corner too fast as I stated above.

Do lots of track and HPDE events if you really want to become a better driver.

Congratulations on picking my favorite (available in the UK) colour.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-20-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Maskdman3' date='Mar 20 2007, 12:59 AM
Does it strike anyone else as humorous that it is mostly Americans (myself included) who are giving advice to a European driver about cornering?

We enjoy NASCAR and drag racing. They have F1 and Nurburgring.

Jeremy Clarkson would be ashamed to see this.
It is humorous, considering every single European driver today is practically a reincarnation of Senna himself and have been expertly trained to drive sub-8 minute laps of the 'ring in a '78 Trabant, while every single American driver can barely be bothered to put down the cell phone and big mac long enough to steer out of the drive through.

Seriously, the only thing I find humorous is how many people on this board manage to spin out while driving in a straight line. I mean seriously, WTF?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:54 AM

Yeah - that's pretty much what I was asking. I always treat corners with respect, but straight line accelerating - well the thrill of doing this in the S just corrupted me - and I pushed it a step too far. The main reason I asked was I haven't dared go above 5000rpm yet in my new S.

Desperate to get onto the track - hopefully next week.

PS moonrock is great colour - can't beleive you don't get it in the states. (annoying for me as can't get matching colour accessories from places like Rick's).
Old 03-20-2007, 06:10 PM

IMO, VSA won't do much. Same as ESP, ASR, TRAC, etc etc etc

They are all the same to me. Ive tried "trashing" some cars in empty lots, and these vehicle stability and traction controls can only do so much. If you overshoot too far, they can't do anything ...

At the end of the day, your car is riding on four rubber patches that are about 245mm by 10mm -- that's how much your 2,800lb car's rubber touches the ground at any given point of time ... and it's just rubber ...

People laugh at me for driving not so aggressively with the S ... yes I'm a whimp, but I would still want my life to go on so I could enjoy some nice time in autox and track
Old 03-20-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ks320' date='Mar 20 2007, 07:10 PM
They are all the same to me. Ive tried "trashing" some cars in empty lots, and these vehicle stability and traction controls can only do so much. If you overshoot too far, they can't do anything ...
My experience is different. I've ridden as an instructor in lots of cars on wet skidpads. Many of the new ones are damn near impossible to oversteer using the throttle -- if the stability control is on. They just push, push, push.

But touch the button, and the same throttle input loops the car just like that.

Typically the students are amazed, especially if they have never looped a car before.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:19 AM

Today is Day 3 of my S2k AP1 ownership.
This is my first RWD car. Never had any issues of spinout with my FWD civic FD2
Anyway, 1st Spinout, coming out of a wet corner.
Scary
no VSA too..
luckily no cars on the road, and the car stopped before the kerb.
I wasn't going fast at all, i think i must have gassed it too early out of the corner.
Have to get use to counter steering, and the mechanics of a spinout.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Prometheus,Jun 27 2009, 06:19 AM
Today is Day 3 of my S2k AP1 ownership.
This is my first RWD car. Never had any issues of spinout with my FWD civic FD2
Anyway, 1st Spinout, coming out of a wet corner.
Scary
no VSA too..
luckily no cars on the road, and the car stopped before the kerb.
I wasn't going fast at all, i think i must have gassed it too early out of the corner.
Have to get use to counter steering, and the mechanics of a spinout.
just wait until u lower it

Quick Reply: Will VSA save me from spin outs?