S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

06+ DBW throttle wire adjustment

Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It actually make things less complicated .

The 06 no longer has IAC or air pump . Its all about emissions in the end .

My dark theory is when they implement GPS in all the cars with DBW throttle ( And they are working on DBW brakes ) that they ( They being the government and local police ) want too, can shut the car down with a phone call . No more getaway High speed chases , evasion etc .

This is also one step closer to cars driving themselves .

Scott
Old 09-22-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Now that will suck!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GranPrix,Sep 22 2006, 12:59 PM
What's the point of having DBW then, if a cable is still in the picture??

that's the TPS i highlighted in red correct??

DBW is needed to expedite the stability control, where the computer has to intervene in the throttle input when certain manouvers must be executed.

I believe that red thing is just the sensor to determine throttle "pedal" position and input. The TPS should still be on the throttle body.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Twiztid,Sep 22 2006, 09:31 AM
This was not me posting but one of my guys thought he would be smart

THAT IS THE THROTTLE CABLE ADJUST FOR THE DBW ON A 06

Sorry Boofster and xviper , I will make sure I log out this time
I don't know who to believe anymore!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by IheartS2ks,Sep 22 2006, 04:25 PM
I don't know who to believe anymore!
Me neither
Old 09-22-2006, 05:53 PM

I have an '06 and one of the first mod's I did was tighten up the throttle cable slack. There was noticable play at the pedal, the first 2mm of gas pedal travel or so did not move the "throttle" (position sensor). I find this is a good mod.

It has nothing to do with DBW or DBW-"lag" (never had any), DBW throttle response, or even DBW full throttle performance or hp. Making this adjustment did not change the DBW system, its performance, or responsiveness in anyway.

I have done this mod (take out throttle cable slack) with my previous non-DBW vehicles (corvette, rx-7, truck). For me, its about feel of the gas pedal when blipping the throttle to rev match (down shifting) and also when trying to ease off the line in 1st. Without that extra bit of slack in the pedal, it's just so much easier to be precise, especially at transition from off throttle to light throttle.

Notes: I did not adjust the TPS. Also, there is a miniumum amount of slack required as stated in the shop manual; don't go under that amount or occasionally your throttle will not return all the way to idle when you let off the gas. (And so what if they use a cable to connect the throttle pedal to the TPS? It's still DBW.)
Old 09-22-2006, 06:15 PM

The cable DOES NOT connect to the TPS. The TPS reads the position of the throttle plate, it does not read the position of the pedal. In the S2K the cable connects to a accelerator position sensor.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ottokrat,Sep 22 2006, 07:53 PM
It has nothing to do with DBW or DBW-"lag" (never had any), DBW throttle response, or even DBW full throttle performance or hp. Making this adjustment did not change the DBW system, its performance, or responsiveness in anyway.

For me, its about feel of the gas pedal when blipping the throttle to rev match (down shifting) and also when trying to ease off the line in 1st. Without that extra bit of slack in the pedal, it's just so much easier to be precise, especially at transition from off throttle to light throttle.
I shall respect your observations on this as you state it. It does make sense to me now that someone has put it in this way.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 PM

The sensor pictured in red above is the APP (Active Pedal Position) sensor. It is definitely not cruise control. All this whole box does is translate your pedal wire to electrical voltage which is then interpreted in different ways through the ECU. The ECU decides how to open the throttle using the black module on the throttle body.

You can look at 11-429 in the Helms to confirm this.

To sum up, the gas pedal does still have a wire which goes to this APP module. By tightening the wire will benefit from better response as ottokrat said. There is no spec here as you tighten it to your liking. Just make sure it closes completely when the wire is at rest.

Should add this to the FAQ as it is a free mod that is easy to do for anyone in about 5 minutes. I am sure pre-DBW years have a throttle cable adjustment DIY somewhere as it is the most basic improvement you can do to your car that is immediately noticeable.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boofster,Sep 23 2006, 12:26 AM
I am sure pre-DBW years have a throttle cable adjustment DIY somewhere as it is the most basic improvement you can do to your car that is immediately noticeable.
It's been posted a few times in the past but not stickied. As I stated before the recommended slack is 1/4" for previous model years. It's a pretty easy and fundamental adjustment as there is no cover like in your year of car. PM the moderator and see if he'll consider putting this into the FAQs. In this possible event, I shall "clean up" my earlier post so that it reflects a more serious tone for which this thread deserves.

Quick Reply: 06+ DBW throttle wire adjustment