S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bent Valve Repairs Completed. I Got Off Cheap. - But There's a Twist

Old 02-09-2002, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The alleged over-rev that caused all eight intake and exhaust valves to ever-so-lightly tap my pistons has been repaired. While my wife and I maintain our innocence with regard to over-revving the engine, I have to admit that the dealership charged me a fair price for the work at $1,775.00. We still think it should have been under warranty but that is an issue for my lawyer now.

The work took longer than the shop had quoted. I was told that it was due to "the wrong parts having been shipped." When I picked up the car I noticed a long list of additional parts itemized on the service ticket. These extra parts included a new timing chain cover and gasket, new timing chain guides, and a new crankshaft location sensor. Of course I assumed that this was the smoking gun that would prove that the bent valves had been the result of a slack timing chain or tensioner or some related part. Not so!

It seems that the mechanics (I no longer consider these guys to be Service Technicians) would move all ragtops into the shop at night and outside during the day unless they were being worked on. During one of these moves they started pushing the car without taking it out of gear. The timing chain had been tied up with bailing wire to keep it from dropping down into the chain galley. When the crank moved, it pulled the chain and wire into the case, breaking reinforcing ribs inside of the case, denting the crank sensor, and breaking the chain guides.

The dealership graciously replaced these at no cost but failed to mention anything about it until I saw the parts on the invoice. Later I discovered that a voice mail message had been left on my cell phone about the incident.

Needless to say, the honeymoon with my dealer is over. We have been servicing the car religiously at the store we bought it from but I feel I need to find another shop for service. Can anyone suggest a quality shop in the San Gabriel or San Fernando Valley to use?

Thanks for listening to me rant and I look forward to any recommendations.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard Santa Monica Honda gave excellent service from a few other board members. I personally like Goudy Honda as they have usually given me excellent service in a timely manner.

But you may also want to look into the Acura service department. Some members here have had their s2k's regularly serviced by them as it seems that Honda has not been able to provide the level of service expected for a $30+k car.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:55 AM
Zot

B]"During one of these moves they started pushing the car without taking it out of gear"[/B]

Tiy gotta love these guys...how many mechanics does it take to put a car in neutral BEFORE you push it?

UGH!!!

Glad to hear everything is ok now...
Old 02-10-2002, 04:53 PM

Goudy is certainly closer (almost walking distance) than my the dealer I purchased from and have been using for service. So too is Sierra Acura in Alhambra. I will keep them in mind.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KDuke
[B]Goudy is certainly closer (almost walking distance) than my the dealer I purchased from and have been using for service.