S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Braided stainless lines - which type?

Old 03-24-2001, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm preparing my S2000 for Open Track events and will of course be adding stainless lines. But, with the S2000 I've encountered something I haven't seen before - Mugen's micro-mesh stainless lines. At twice the cost of "conventional" lines, what are the benefits?
Longevity doesn't particularly matter, I replace stainless lines every othe ryear anyway.

-Jeff
http://jwfisher.home.texas.net
Old 03-24-2001, 07:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock Honda lines are tight enough (at least when new) that there is only a small difference in feel with the SS lines. The steel lines do seem to allow better control at the limit, braking just before lockup/ABS is easier to modulate.

IMO there is no discernable difference in any of the DOT approved lines. Some of us have Goodridge, some others, but they all seem to have the same effective performance.

Other braking enhancements to look at are higher friction pads (The stock pads do not respond well after high temp exposure), better fluid since the stock DOT3 boiling point is low, and fabricating cooling ducts for the front rotors makes a big difference.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been working with Earl's Proformance on Stainless steel brake lines for my big brake kit . They produce a line of street lines called Hyperfirm . Earl's teflon liner is .o40" aircraft specification not the .030" commercial grade. Earl's tests each line that it manufactures to 4,000psi 4 times the operating pressure . Earl's also fits the rear line with a patented whip dampener to the rear lines because they are in the 12" to 17" long range of lines that can't pass whip test with out dampner . Earl's are changing the way they hold mounting tabs to lines so they will fit S-2000 stock mounting tabs . This change will also be added to their other stock kits . I have worked with them on finalizing fit . The parts I tested are first class as is the company . Earl's is probably the largest maker of racing lines in the world . The rear lines are complete and front samples will be shown at Ashville . This kit will be plug and play , a perfect fit . The ends that Earl's uses match Honda parts exactly .Earl's is owned by Holley Proformance and you can find them at http://www.holley.com Earl's are represented in 7 countries through out the world .
As production date arrives I will offer group buy of $91.00 for complete stock set also Earl's makes Solo-bleeders that let one person bleed brakes they will also be offered . The reason that I have been involved in like kits is the need for front lines for my brake kit.
Earl's has the capibilty to whip test up to 4 lines at the same time to date they have not found a competitors line that will pass whip test in that 12" to 17" lenth . If some on has line that they would like tested send to me I will forward to Earl,s and have tested . They use time clock and video camera to verify results . Hook up, turn on wait for failure ,record time.
I agree that improved brake modulation and reduced anti-lock activation would be reason to buy .

ps they do look cool

brad