S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cam Sensor issue after Valve adjustment

Old 11-30-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cam Sensor issue after Valve adjustment

Hi everyone,

I took my MY2000 S2k into to have the valves adjusted and retainers swapped (for AP2 ones) in preparation for an HPDE at Road Atlanta which is tomorrow, but the mechanic just called to tell me that the car won't start with the crank sensor plugged in. He ordered a new sensor (will be in tomorrow) but I have my doubts that the old one would just quite since its been perfectly fine. The car has some bolt ons and a Greddy Emanage Ulitimate.

Any thoughts to why this would happen short/ something got unplugged or the timing got off? I tried searching but haven't been able to find much with answers people just stop replying.

Also if anyone in the Charlotte area has an extra sensor for it I'd be glad to buy it off you just to try replacing it

Edit: Meant Crank Position Sensor not Cam

Last edited by ryanmdel; 11-30-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I did my own valve adjustment a few months ago. There's not much to mess up aside from the actual adjustment of the valves themselves. That sensor did take a little wiggling to come out but nothing major.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 364 Likes on 338 Posts

Ask your Mechanic,
if he is true to his word he will advise why and what failed and give test results of component. I recon with a amp meter
Old 11-30-2018, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the responses,

I called my mechanic back and he's confident its the crank sensor. Said he double checked the timing and no evidence of electrical issues (I would assume he used an amp meter). Just seems odd since it was fine when I dropped it off and a huge letdown since this was supposed to be my first trackday with it... At least my Infiniti hasn't sold yet so I'll still have that too drive.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I've done a few VA where I just forgot to plug it back in- both AP! and AP2- threw a code- replugged it back in- drove it around- code cleared.
darcy
Old 11-30-2018, 07:26 PM

Good news, mechanic called about 30min after I left for Atlanta and said he was able find a crank sensor on a blown motor he had. He even waited until 7 so I could pick it up!
Old 11-30-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

if you are referring to the crank sensor that makes no sense, and too much of a coincidence to fail at that exact time. It would have to be damaged to fail IMO.

My guess is he left the ratchet attached to the crank pulley and started the car up in error and the ratchet took out the sensor. But how would you ever prove it.

If you are talking about the cam sensors it would also be odd, perhaps they are not pushed in tightly or have some debris on them as they are metallic.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
if you are referring to the crank sensor that makes no sense, and too much of a coincidence to fail at that exact time. It would have to be damaged to fail IMO.

My guess is he left the ratchet attached to the crank pulley and started the car up in error and the ratchet took out the sensor. But how would you ever prove it.

If you are talking about the cam sensors it would also be odd, perhaps they are not pushed in tightly or have some debris on them as they are metallic.
when i did that it sent the ratchet through the bottom of the airbox. Check that
Old 12-01-2018, 07:08 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
when i did that it sent the ratchet through the bottom of the airbox. Check that
yup I think a few of us have done that at one time or another, I got lucky and mine did not fly off, but it can do some serious damage lol.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:26 AM

Just got back from Road Atlanta and the car did great with no issues!

I did mean crank position sensor but I agree that it sounds very coincidental that it would fail while it was being worked on which is why I posted in the first place. I don't think the mechanic would have done something that obvious because he called and asked if I had an immobilizer about 2 hours before telling me I had a bad sensor. I assume he would have discovered the ratchet very quickly (and no damage to the CAI).

Since he pulled a used sensor he just charged me for labor and I'll probably never know what really happened, but I guess if someone can win 1.5 billion in a lottery my sensor could have crapped out while it was there. Not sure if I'd go back to the same mechanic although he did seem very knowledgeable, only works on Hondas and had a few s2k engines laying around, but I do 98% of the work myself anyway.

Also, no evidence of cracking on the retainers after 140k miles, not sure they were original but they were AP1 retainers so I doubt anyone ever swapped them.

Thanks again for all the responses!