S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car is acting up sporadically

Old 05-28-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Car is acting up sporadically

Ok so about a month ago I had issues with my spark plugs. 1 and 4 were difficult to remove and 2 and 3 were loos (while #2 was missing the electrode) it had melted according to the shop but was still in tact. All of them were leaking combustion they said though which is what the noise was that I brought it in for. The threads were all damaged so they were chased and repaired.

All while doing this they took a look at my valve adjustment and said that it was a little too tight on the exhaust side and brought it to spec.

Compression read:
#1 80/220
#2 80/210
#3 80/215
#4 80/210

Now with all that said since I got it back it's had piss poor idle. When I leave the house it will usually start acting strange about a half mile to one full mile from home. It has on occasion acted strange upon startup but not often, One time it even gave off a bit of a back fire as if it were running rich when I pulled it into the garage. Typically when driving it I get this happening around 2.5-3.5k and it will happen for at least a few seconds at a time lasting no longer than 10 seconds and not coming back after that, Even after stopping and restarting it. As if it were a hot/cold issue. When I say it acts strange I mean it's almost like driving an untuned car, The throttle is choppy and cut's out a bit and I lose a little bit of the throttle response when it happens because the idle has far less consistency..

Can anyone help me narrow this down? Since I've gotten the car back from them I took off the coilpacks and checked for any frayed wiring/damage but found none. I have no check engine light to go off of and am merely trying to figure this out by sight/sound. I have a trackday coming up and want to try and get it squared away by then. Thanks guys..

I'd also like to add that I have absolutely no engine management at all. I just know how my old car used to feel when driving to the dyno for a few blocks on a stock map.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:35 PM

Not that anyone attempted to help with this but it was in fact the map sensor.. Did the good ol' Whack!! method to it and it didn't hesitate or act funny at all, Problem solved.

Thank you search function.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Not that anyone attempted to help with this but it was in fact the map sensor.. Did the good ol' Whack!! method to it and it didn't hesitate or act funny at all, Problem solved.

Thank you search function.
Wow man, congrats on fixing the issue! Thanks for updating your thread, hopefully this will help future readers
Old 05-29-2014, 05:53 PM

I hope so too.. took me through the night to think over the possibilities and I figured if it wasn't the map it would be the fuel pump or a sticky injector.