S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder replacement

Old 04-11-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Neither. 100% Honda OEM is the way to go here. Majestic Honda is usually the cheapest.

Keep the fluid clean (turkey-baste) it moving forward for longevity after the install.
I picked up a Nissin 5/8 inch made by Adler (?). they claimed it was OEM manufacturer. And it was just like the one I pulled out except for the uncoated CMC rod, retaining disc, and a very minimally thinner gauge metal clutch pedal attachment. I just switched OEM honda bits over to the new one. Honda bits have a nice anticorrosion yellow coating. it cost me $70.

darcy
Old 04-13-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I changed the master and the slave, car is still not going in to gear. When I press on the clutch it feels like something is rubbing together, I can feel it in my foot. I changed everything except for the line on the slave, could that still be the problem or is this something bigger?
Old 04-13-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreCivicsPlease
So I changed the master and the slave, car is still not going in to gear. When I press on the clutch it feels like something is rubbing together, I can feel it in my foot. I changed everything except for the line on the slave, could that still be the problem or is this something bigger?
Does your clutch pedal feel weird only when the car is on and this the engine is spinning? If so likely your throwout bearing is bad or something else.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Sounds like a partially split disc, allowing one of the springs to drag on the PP. This would explain not going into gear.

With the car not running, does the clutch pedal "feel" normal?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:42 PM

I think so, I'll check in the morning and post a response to that question. Just a little back story though, new oem disc/act pp/bearings/resurfaced flywheel were installed less than 15k miles ago. If this turns out to be a clutch problem could this mean faulty parts, an incorrect install or just "shit happens"? Also I don't know if this matters but if I start up the car in first and drive, it runs through the gears normally. Basically just first and reverse won't go in without the car being off.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:38 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Your clutch is not fully disengaging. It's either air in the slave system (you can feel if the pedal is not "right" with the car off)...

Or something in the disc is broken, or a rusted spline, or install error. The setup you have is the most reliable in existence, sh!* does not just happen.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:50 AM

So with the car off the pedal feels smooth when I push it but it's not getting stiff until about 3/4 through engagement. With the car on stiffness engages slightly sooner but I feel that rubbing/sticky feeling in the pedal. Should I send it back to the same guys that did the install? They are the go to S2000 mechanic for Orlando, so pretty reputable.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Possibly air in the line. The squeaky pedal could have been the installers forgetting to grease the clutch fork. Both are easy to fix on your own.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Possibly air in the line. The squeaky pedal could have been the installers forgetting to grease the clutch fork. Both are easy to fix on your own.
I just changed the MC and slave and bled the system, same symptoms as before. There's no squeaking in the pedal and I just greased the fork while I was down there
Old 04-14-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreCivicsPlease
I just changed the MC and slave and bled the system, same symptoms as before. There's no squeaking in the pedal and I just greased the fork while I was down there
That sucks man, trans is gonna have to come down then.

Quick Reply: Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder replacement