S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coolant sucked in to motor. Could it have called issues

Old 02-06-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coolant sucked in to motor. Could it have called issues

So im starting this thread for a neighbor as I was not sure the outcome of the situation. So he removed the IACV to clean it, but upon installation back on the car he forgot to reinstall the gasket and the car started to smoke instantly. He let it idle and revved it some to see if the smoke went away not sure where it came from, until I went over and noticed the gasket beside the can of carb cleaner. We reinstalled the gasket and the smoking went away after about idling for a couple seconds, car seems to be back to normal now. You guys think any damage was done after this incident, or did it just burn off the coolant and it should be fine?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

He may not have damaged anything as the motor wasn't driven hard and with low load at idle.

Change the oil immediately, you don't want coolant mixed in oil as it will kill the lubrication quality of the oil. I would do two quick oil changes, use cheap oil as a flush for the first one , and refill with your oil of choice for the second fill. Don't drive the car , dump the current contaminated oil, refill with new oil, let it idle for a minute, then dump the oil and refill with new oil and a new filter. That's what I would do. The intake manifold may have coolant residue, you might want to remove the throttle body and have a look in the manifold and clean up any residue that may be in there before starting the motor again.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
He may not have damaged anything as the motor wasn't driven hard and with low load at idle.

Change the oil immediately, you don't want coolant mixed in oil as it will kill the lubrication quality of the oil. I would do two quick oil changes, use cheap oil as a flush for the first one , and refill with your oil of choice for the second fill. Don't drive the car , dump the current contaminated oil, refill with new oil, let it idle for a minute, then dump the oil and refill with new oil and a new filter. That's what I would do. The intake manifold may have coolant residue, you might want to remove the throttle body and have a look in the manifold and clean up any residue that may be in there before starting the motor again.
I just text him to take it easy on it as he has to do oil changes asap. He drove the car to work , he says car is completely normal though. I think its fine, but il definitely tell him to flush out that oil
Old 02-06-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KCHRIS305
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1423240167' post='23496027

I just text him to take it easy on it as he has to do oil changes asap. He drove the car to work , he says car is completely normal though. I think its fine, but il definitely tell him to flush out that oil
Yeah , the manifold will be dry by now, so one good oil change and filter will be good.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

If you're lucky, you only got a some coolant into the combustion chamber where it quickly vaporized and went out the tail pipe. Good thing about water turning to steam at high pressure, it's an excellent cleaner, so you might have cleaned the combustion chamber a bit. I would still listen to J and do an oil change just for peace of mind.