S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

E-brake Sticking

Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-brake Sticking

So I washed my car yesterday and when I finished I parked in my usually spot on my driveway. My driveway is uphill so if the E-brake is not engaged the car will roll backwards. Anyways today getting ready to leave for work I put the E-brake down and the car stayed still like it was still engaged. So I put it in reverse to force it to move and it made a loud clunk noise and began to roll. Anyone know what's wrong?
Old 09-16-2012, 02:36 PM

if the car is parked long enough outside in a climate with moisture in the air, the rotor will hence "lock" the brakepad in place. that "clunk" you hear is the brakepad breaking free from the rotor. it happens to me on occasion when im parked by the ocean or in the rain. get the e-brake checked out if you really want to make sure.

-a
Old 09-16-2012, 05:12 PM

That explains why it happens the day after I wash my car. Maybe driving around after I'm done will help dry the the brake pads to stop this from happening. Do you think it could be a problem?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue after I wash my car as well. Depending on what kind of soap or tire/wheel cleaner you use, it could cause the brake pad to become stuck to the rotor. Did you use any kind of spray on wheel cleaner? Typically I will wash my car, back it into the garage, then the next day when I go to drive it, the pad will be locked to the rotor and give the clunk you described when I start moving. One time it was a bit severe and I could see a bit of pad material left on the rotor. I think the chemicals used to clean the car that end up on the rotor have something to do with it. In the common case of a little clunk, i cant see it really affecting anything bad enough to worry about it.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This is perfectly normal for these cars. Rotors get wet, they start to form rust on the surface. Since the pads are always slightly touching the rotor, the rust builds up around the pad, particularly if the ebrake is applied. Next time the wheels turn, the rust is broken free and you get the clunk. No need to drive anywhere to dry them off. Next drive, after one brake application, the rotor is swept clean. Nothing is broken, nothing is really "stuck".
Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
I have the same issue after I wash my car as well. Depending on what kind of soap or tire/wheel cleaner you use, it could cause the brake pad to become stuck to the rotor. Did you use any kind of spray on wheel cleaner? Typically I will wash my car, back it into the garage, then the next day when I go to drive it, the pad will be locked to the rotor and give the clunk you described when I start moving. One time it was a bit severe and I could see a bit of pad material left on the rotor. I think the chemicals used to clean the car that end up on the rotor have something to do with it. In the common case of a little clunk, i cant see it really affecting anything bad enough to worry about it.
Yeah, I use "Turtle Wax Platinum All Wheel & Tire Cleaner With Wax" on the wheels and tires.

Originally Posted by xviper
This is perfectly normal for these cars. Rotors get wet, they start to form rust on the surface. Since the pads are always slightly touching the rotor, the rust builds up around the pad, particularly if the ebrake is applied. Next time the wheels turn, the rust is broken free and you get the clunk. No need to drive anywhere to dry them off. Next drive, after one brake application, the rotor is swept clean. Nothing is broken, nothing is really "stuck".
That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks xviper!