S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine start problem

Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine start problem

Hi guys, I'd like to ask for your help regarding an issue with my car sometimes not starting...

I switch the key to ON then wait for single click sound before I press the Engine Start button then it would start, this is the usual routine and everythings fine. But there are times when I press start I just here a single click sound but the car doesn't start. I'd continue pressing and pressing but no luck, so I just end up having the car pushed to get it to start. Sometimes it starts in the middle of the whole time I keep pressing it, but thats just sheer luck though.

1. Battery - volt is 11.9 - 12.4
2. Starter - just replaced the old one and it sounds fine when it starts up.
3. Clutch - I dont need to press on the clutch to get it to start, deactivated feature on my car.
4. I have a VAFC installed, is that a factor? Maybe a loose wiring?
5. Had the clutch replaced with a new one, is it also a factor?

There's also a time when i go on fast runs on the road for a long time, then when I decide to park the car, stop the engine and try to start it again, it wouldnt start. I especially hate it if I accidently killed the engine while theres trafic and the engine unluckily doesnt start, oh s**t id look super stupid pressing and praying it would start.

I enumerated the 5 things that may be asked by you guys and also some which I dont know if it would matter or count for the car to start.

What do you think is the problem? What should I check? Your help guys would be greatly appreciated. Im so stumpped and just came from an embarassing situation where i had to stop the car to unlock the trunk then when I went back in, the car didnt start. Had to have security guards push my car
Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Does the car crank? Single click and doesn't start? Does it even spin?

1. Battery is bad for one thing. But that shouldn't be a factor starting the car after a long run.

-- Chuck
Old 08-26-2015, 03:17 AM

Thanks Chuck for the reply, on an unlucky day, the only thing I hear is a click when I press the button. The engine does not crank. Im at a parking lot right now and unfortunately it wouldnt start. Battery is fine.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:52 PM

I'd just like to add, I saw this topic here last night:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...er-clutch-job/

The video is exactly what happened to my car. I had my clutch changed to a new one way back. Started the car numerous times after that change and everything worked out fine but there would be like 1 out of 5 chance that the car wouldn't start, it just so happens that it becomes more frequent. I would check the part on the posted pic that he attached again.

Could it be possible that something near the starter (wiring) gets loose and just gets in contact again causing it to start? If it is loose and I was able to secure the attachment well and it doesn't happen anymore then thank you s2ki forumers (I hope it's just that problem)

Another thing that I noticed is that like yesterday after running / speeding the car on the road then parking it, when I try to start the car it wouldn't start, no crank, just a click sound. The same thing happened before after a long traffic on the road and parked the car, when I was about to go and start the car, it didn't start (both situations I guess the engine bay's hot from the runs and traffic), but way back then it wasn't like that. I could speed it, go through traffic and park but the car start w/o any problems. What do you think is the problem here and what should I check?

I'm just trying to narrow down everything till I solve the problem, considering if I had already done the first check as described at the topic wid the vid above.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:55 PM

Sounds like the starter, do the tap on the starter test to rule it out.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:02 PM

Thanks Sikap, how do I go about it?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZiTrO
I'd just like to add, I saw this topic here last night:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...er-clutch-job/

The video is exactly what happened to my car. I had my clutch changed to a new one way back. Started the car numerous times after that change and everything worked out fine but there would be like 1 out of 5 chance that the car wouldn't start, it just so happens that it becomes more frequent. I would check the part on the posted pic that he attached again.

Could it be possible that something near the starter (wiring) gets loose and just gets in contact again causing it to start? If it is loose and I was able to secure the attachment well and it doesn't happen anymore then thank you s2ki forumers (I hope it's just that problem)

Another thing that I noticed is that like yesterday after running / speeding the car on the road then parking it, when I try to start the car it wouldn't start, no crank, just a click sound. The same thing happened before after a long traffic on the road and parked the car, when I was about to go and start the car, it didn't start (both situations I guess the engine bay's hot from the runs and traffic), but way back then it wasn't like that. I could speed it, go through traffic and park but the car start w/o any problems. What do you think is the problem here and what should I check?

I'm just trying to narrow down everything till I solve the problem, considering if I had already done the first check as described at the topic wid the vid above.

Honestly it sounds like you have a mix of a battery getting old in age and grounds that are not making good contact.

The S2000 is notorious for showing starter problems associated with poor grounding.
Remove the ground strap off of the back of the cylinder head and thoroughly clean it, this usually the culprit.

Earlier this year I started having hot start issues with my 00' S2000 and it ended up being a bad battery and some dirty grounding.