S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS test gone bad

Old 04-18-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default EPS test gone bad

too tired tonight to go searching through forums and see if this will be an easy fix.... but if anyone knows feel free to chime in....

a buddy of mine lost his power steering.. we were working on my car today to add a hitch to it and in some downtime he swapped our EPS modules to test if his module was bad... we are both MY05 and the modules were the same part number.. after he threw my EPS module in his car power steering returned for a minute but before he could test drive the light on his came back on and lost power steering again.. after putting my EPS module back I got his AIDS and I lost power steering...

So if anyone knows what to do that would be greatly appreciated... otherwise tomorrow after an autox I will be forum hunting to figure this out,,,
Old 04-18-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anytime an EPS module is replaced or at least paired with a different rack, you must relearn the rack to that module and vise versa. The steering angle and torque sensors save to the module so it knows when you're turning and when you're driving straight so it knows when/how much assist to give.

Sorry to say, but now you've gotta reprogram your car as well. Should've done your research first, would've saved you some money and a trip to the Honda Dealer.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Anytime an EPS module is replaced or at least paired with a different rack, you must relearn the rack to that module and vise versa. The steering angle and torque sensors save to the module so it knows when you're turning and when you're driving straight so it knows when/how much assist to give.

Sorry to say, but now you've gotta reprogram your car as well. Should've done your research first, would've saved you some money and a trip to the Honda Dealer.
well good news... didn't have to go to the dealer.... connected pins 4 and 9 on the obd2 connector and did the 45 degree steering angle to the left trick and voila I instantly got my power steering back.... hopefully this will help some poor soul at some time...
Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know that method doesn't always work. Yours may have worked for you simply because that module was actually tied to your car at one point. Either way, glad it worked for you and you were able to avoid the stealership.