S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gearshift Rattle

Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearshift Rattle

I am the proud owner of a trouble-plagued 2005 S2000 which I bought brand new as an end-year bargain in December, 2005. I have had tires blow out, scratches to the exterior, and a broken part on the hood release. I put on an aftermarket auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and thermometer, and it took about eight trips to the glass shop and the aftermarket installation shop to get it right. The entire car was rewired in about five trips to the dealer before it was found that each of the first TWO multi-disk trunk-mounted CD changers was defective. The top got a slit, and after the top was replaced, the TSB came out to smooth the parts, so the top was almost completely removed a second time. Then there are the rattles......

I have had the right convertible top latch replaced ($270) which got rid of a rattle. There was a rattle in the new rearview mirror which (as mentioned elsewhere on here) sounded like it was coming from the dash, but wasn't. That has been fixed. There's still a noise coming from somewhere in the passenger seat that sounds a bit like castinets. I haven't told the dealer about that one yet. And then there's the rattle in the gear shifter....

The gear shifter makes a noise when in gear which sounds as if rain is falling on the convertible top (but it's coming from the shifter area). The dealer replaced the entire transmission (and some clutch parts while there) for about $1900 after warranty expired (Honda nevertheless paid the other 60% or so) and that seemed to fix it temporarily, then it came back. Dealer then took apart the shifter again, and found that the end had broken off some kind of retainer ring, and replaced it (at no charge). After this, the noise was briefly all gone but has started to come back again. It's not loud yet, and happens when I am in 5th gear. In the past, it started in 5th gear and then spread to all other gears. I can't find a description of this exact problem elsewhere, and would like to draw on the collective wisdom on this site for further suggestions.