S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I found a spring spacer!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found a spring spacer!

For starters I have a 06 s2k with about 1100 miles on it.

So, I've been hearing these noises at the left front wheel area of my06 and saw this post about groaning coming from there during sharp turns:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry5457931

In addition for the past couple hundred miles I've also been hearing a squeak/chirp noise in the same area, I've put it off as the brakes not being properly broken in.

Well today I had time to take off my front left wheel and take a look at what's goin on. I look around and then I see one lonely spring spacer hanging on the back part of the spring. I took it off and was kinda surprised to say the least. I had checked my self and the dealer had marked off the checklist for removing them...anyway....

There is now no groaning sound when I make sharp turns to the left, but the high pitched squeak/chirp is still there.

Let me try and be more descrpitive:

The noise seems to be comming from the front left.

The rotor and brake pad rub when I manually spin the rotor(tire),but (how much friction should there be if any?)

The squeak starts at around 10mph and lasts or is unaudible at around 30mph.

The squeak/chirp intervals are proportional to the speed driven. Spaced out at slow speeds, closer together at faster speeds.

The squeak used to appear when driving straight at these slow speeds, but now is appearing when turning to the right at certain degrees.

The sound happens when the car(brakes) are warm.

The rotors don't appear to be scored. I've tried to break in the brakes and the sound is still there.

Is it not the brakes and possibly suspension related?

It seems as though there is a connection to both of these things(the spring spacer and squeak). I am wanting to fix this problem myself and wondering what's going on.

So, if anyone has any suggestions or solutions they would be greatly appreciated!

I could take it to the dealer and have whatever it is be taken care under warranty, but that would take the fun out of it.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 03-05-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IheartS2ks,Mar 5 2006, 11:46 PM
I am wanting to fix this problem myself and wondering what's going on.

I could take it to the dealer and have whatever it is be taken care under warranty, but that would take the fun out of it.
You have a brand spanking new car. Are you sure you want to be messing with it? If you do something to make it worse, the dealer may not be so sympathetic when you eventually bring it in. It won't be much "fun" if you do more damage and the dealer charges you to fix what they should be fixing for free just because you tampered with it.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and on top..I would be straight over to the dealer..wanting an explanation as to why a spring spacer is has remained in the suspension.. despite a pre-delivery inspection. 1100miles is not so much.. but the car should not be driven at any speed with the spacers in..
Old 03-05-2006, 10:47 PM

a sqeek can be a number of things, it sound like your saying its an on and off squeek and not a constant squeek as your moving. if its on and off it may be you have a slightly warped rotor, if its warped a little it could be just grazing the pads and giving you the faint squeek. if thats the case trying to re-bed in the brakes wont help your cause, also make sure when your beding in the brakes you dont get them really hot, then stop at a signal with your foot on the brake pedal. this will cause the rotors to warp and kill the brake fluid.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 AM

You have a warranty, use it.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Maybe,one of your Hampsters,escaped from the cage.!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:58 AM

I'm betting the squeek is a rotor rubbing on your rotor. Sounds like a caliper is not releasing all the way. With the car on a jack the wheel should spin freely with no drag from the pads unless you are applying the brakes.

I'd get this into the dealer for a check out and an apology. Warranty should cover any issues you might have.

Oh... and do a hamster headcount. Just in case.
-golfpro
Old 03-06-2006, 08:59 AM

With disc brakes there is always going to be a small amount of drag since the pad never fully loses contact with the rotor. Car wheels don't free-wheel like a bicycle.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:35 AM

I was being partially sarcastic about the "fun" part.

I will take it to the dealer as there is no real reason not to, especially to tell them about the spring spacer being in there. But the reason why I posted is to just see, before I go to the dealer, what this could be, to see if anyone else has or had this problem and if I could fix this myself.

I posted to be educated on an "under the hood" problem, not on warranty protocol. Most, if not everyone, should go to the dealer if their car is under warranty and I appreciate the concern about taking the car in.

However want to know not only for my own personal knowledge, but because going to the dealer is somewhat inconvienient.

I like messing with stuff and wouldn't expect the dealer to fix any damage(if any) that I could cause.

Before I made this post I searched and read all of them on here as well as other forums pertaining to my problem. There were similar types of issues but not exactly like mine. I've concluded that the spacer that was left in there did mess something up and that it probably would be a better idea to let the dealer fix it.

Still, it would be nice (in one sense) to find out if other people have this problem to add to the knowledge of this board.

And even if one of my hamsters escaped, I'd have 3 more to power me on the way to the dealer.

EDIT: thanks again for the responses and help!