S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Leaking fuel from around injectors

Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking fuel from around injectors

I was breaking in the newly rebuilt motor and noticed that I smelled gas. It was coming from the injectors for cylinders 2, 3, and 4. I took the fuel rail back off last night and replaced the o-rings and the rubber spacers on all the injectors and the ports where the plug into the intake manifold.

Today, I'm still getting fuel leaking from the bottom of injectors 2, 3 and 4. The strange thing is that I didn't notice it at all on the way to work, but on the way home I noticed it immediately after leaving the parking lot. After I got home and parked it, it still leaked fuel until it bled off all of the pressure in the system. Assuming I didn't fix the problem by replacing the o-rings and spacers, what should I check next? Any ideas?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did the right thing. They just snap in. So are they aftermarket?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Nope. They're OEM.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM

i'm assuming you smeared a bit of grease on the o-rings during install right?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM

some fresh motor oil.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 PM

Is the rail tightened all the way down?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hahaha.

I just did the same thing the other week.

My garage stunk like gasoline.

It STILL could be the O-rings. They are super-duper soft.

There are O-rings on the tops and additional rubber plugs in the intake manifold. You should be able to see where it is leaking from.

You have to oil / grease both sides (I only did one side and deformed the rubber on the other side, causing the leak).

And you have to insert them caaaarefully.

I had cut three O-rings wedging the injectors into the rail.

The other place could be the fuel pulsation valve (the "hat"-looking thing).

You're supposed to replace both washers to that piece as per the shop manual.

I'd try one of two things:

1. Take the rail and the injectors completely off again. Make things very slippery (I used motor oil and Q-tips) and insert things caaaarefully. Replace the washers to the fuel pulsation valve (hat thing). Make sure the FPR and hoses are secured to the fuel rail if you're stock... if you're Comptech'd, the 17mm brass bolt to the fuel hose is another place it can leak. There are two spacer washers underneath that can fall off when you remove the hose (to get the rail off). I dropped them twice.... If they're not there, you'll leak at that junction. It'd be pretty obvious when popping the hood, though.

2. Dry out the area very well. Turn the key to "on" and see where it's leaking from. (Don't hit the start button). Replace that area.

The way the delayed symptoms happened, it sounds like a damaged O-ring gave way under pressure (or a hose to the FPR popped off). Otherwise you would have seen it leak earlier.

I made it to the store before I started smelling gas VERY STRONGLY. Then popped the hood at the store and it was like a fountain. In horror, I watched the gas gauge drop by the second as I made it back to my garage....
Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 AM

I lubed up all of the rubber seals and o-rings by dunking them in fresh engine oil before I installed them the first time.

I pulled everything apart again last night to inspect the o-rings and they all look fine. I discovered, though, hat I did not get the injectors fully seated in the rail, since I did it without completely disconnecting the rail. With it out, I was able to make sure everything went in straight and seated well. It seemed to all go back together better, but I still noticed gas this morning after about a mile of driving.

I'll likely pull the injectors and fuel rail from my track car and stick them on just to see if anything changes. That won't be until Friday, though. Any other suggestions between now and then?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Jan 9 2008, 06:11 AM
I lubed up all of the rubber seals and o-rings by dunking them in fresh engine oil before I installed them the first time.

I pulled everything apart again last night to inspect the o-rings and they all look fine. I discovered, though, hat I did not get the injectors fully seated in the rail, since I did it without completely disconnecting the rail. With it out, I was able to make sure everything went in straight and seated well. It seemed to all go back together better, but I still noticed gas this morning after about a mile of driving.

I'll likely pull the injectors and fuel rail from my track car and stick them on just to see if anything changes. That won't be until Friday, though. Any other suggestions between now and then?
Lots of gas? Or a little gas? Because some will leak around the rubber ring in the intake port while the oil is getting washed out. A little is normal.

I'd check to see if you can localize the leak. Otherwise check the "hat."