S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud rear end noise.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud rear end noise.

As the title states, I've had my S2K for about 7K miles and haven't had to do more than an oil change, and diff fluid change, but as of last night, I started to get on the gas at about 4K RPM in second gear when the noise started to happen. The car sounded like someone was dropping ball bearings onto metal, and after I let off the throttle, the noise disappeared, but as soon as I put any throttle into it, the noise returns. I have a high suspicion of the aftermarket diff that a previous owner had installed, but I had never had any issues with it previously, even during spirited driving. I'll see if I can get a video of the noise and post a link if you guys would like to see what I mean, short of tearing the differential apart, any idea what it might be? I don't have a garage of my own to get the car off the ground so I have to wait to take it to a buddies next weekend to take a look. The diff in question is a Kaaz 1.5 way and I know they are known for being noisy in general, which it is, but this isn't just clutches engaging and disengaging, this noise is so loud you can't even talk to anyone in the car. Feel free to ask questions, and I'll try my best to answer as soon as I can, thank you guys!
Old 09-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, once you get a chance to get the vehicle in the air at your buddies house or at home with jack stands. First check the driveshaft bolts to tightness. Next, check the noise with a stethoscope or long screw driver. Place the tool on the transmission or diff the vehicle running in gear. Its normal to get a little drive train noise through each, but it sounds like the noise will be obvious. Then you can determine if the transmission, drive shaft or differential is making noise.

Hope this helps!
Jay