S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mis-shifted from 3rd to 2nd at WOT; looking for advice

Old 04-23-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatEssTwoKay
Originally Posted by lqh2552' timestamp='1429795479' post='23588373
[quote name='bgoetz' timestamp='1429785100' post='23588252']
IDK if there is a need for a whole new head. The head has to come off either way so why not check to see if there is any valve seat damage, if not just replace the valves and retainers with AP2?

If you damaged the valve seats then yes a whole new head is best.
That makes perfect sense. I guess I just need to get it to a shop to have them pull the head and go from there. (I kinda want to do this at home just so I can see for myself how much damage there is, but I don't feel comfortable doing so without messing things up more.)

You're not the only one who had made this mistake haha. I myself did the exact 2nd gear mis shift a month ago but luckily i had updated ap2 seats and retainers so i didn't drop a valve, just bent one. After the incident I took my head off and it was still in great condition so I decided to go with a new valvetrain from Ferrea to prevent any future headaches. It happens, man. The thing to take away from it is now you can build it stronger!
[/quote]

Haha, good to hear. I actually just want to keep it stock, to be honest. If it can get back to its original form, I'd be more than happy at this point. It's so weird, though, the third to fourth shift should be the easiest shift as the shift is straight down the middle. Well, I guess I gotta start learning to shift this car with lighter pressure and not force it.

BTW, my S2000 is also a 2002 Sebring Silver with a red interior! At first, I thought it was pretty awesome, but now I kinda wish the interior was black. For some reason, the material on the door panels is fading much faster than the dash material. And it's pretty obvious too, haha.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Originally Posted by bgoetz' timestamp='1429785100' post='23588252
IDK if there is a need for a whole new head. The head has to come off either way so why not check to see if there is any valve seat damage, if not just replace the valves and retainers with AP2?

If you damaged the valve seats then yes a whole new head is best.
If you do go this route, make sure you check all the valve seats with mineral spirits or gasoline to ensure they seal properly prior to reassembly. Don't eyeball it.
I've actually gotten it towed to a shop this morning and they're going to pull the head and inspect. Hopefully, they know what they're doing.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jst2878
Don't attempt to start the engine anymore. Take the head off the block. The head needs to be inspected. If the cylinder sleeve didn't crack then you will just have to work on the head. Check engine rotation while head is off and inspect the walls. You said there is oil on the Pistons, not a good sign. Search on this website for a low mileage motor and keep the other parts for possible spares
Yep, I have not attempted to start the engine anymore. As far as oil on the pistons, I didn't get that great of a look, but that's what my initial thought was. The spark plugs smelled more of gas than oil, but it may have a been a mix of both.

I have started looking for a used motor in case of the worst case. And that is a good idea to harvest the second motor for future replacement parts as I plan to keep this car indefinitely.