S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Odd Compression Test Results

Old 02-20-2019, 05:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDay09
Your results seem pretty high for an engine that actually runs. I notice you didn't have the cylinder head cover off during the leakdown test. How did you confirm each cylinder was at TDC during the test? Perhaps you had some valves that were not completely closed?
I'm considering taking the valve cover off to do another leak down test. I started by lining up the timing marks on the crank pulley and using a long extension down the #1 spark plug hole, watching for the very top of the stroke while turning the engine over by hand, the pressurize the cylinder. Then turned the crank 180 degrees with the extension sticking out of cylinder 3, watching for the top of the stroke, then did the same with cylinders 4 and 2 in that order.

If. you've ever done a valve adjustment, you can see that there is some duration that the valves in a cylinder stay closed, even when turning the crank by hand. That being said, even if a cylinder isn't 100% completely at TDC, the valves will still be closed as long as you're very close to TDC. I even purposely tried doing the leak down test on a cylinder when it was 180 degrees off, which showed almost a complete loss of pressure in the cylinder.

Ordered a bore scope that will be here tomorrow, so I'll look around and see what the cylinder walls look like. If everything looks alright, I'm probably just going to install the turbo kit and send it.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:38 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I must say that it does not make a lot of sense to me that this engine has clean and dry plugs and runs perfectly fine with these compression numbers and leak down results. It seems your testing methods are sound.

Tell me folks, when there is liner damage, does oil typically get into the combustion chamber through the rings? If so, shouldn't OP be seeing oily plugs and misfires?

I think your plan to have a look see with the scope is the best next step. The bore scope is an incredible tool.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
Let me explain a little better. With the leak down tester in cylinder 1, I can hear air escaping through cylinder 2 and 3 spark plug holes. It wasn't leaking through the spark plug hole where the tester was.
Woah woah woah.... This couldn't be a head gasket failure between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 would it? Was this car ever FI'd before, or had its HG replaced? If so, was the head torqued correctly or the old gasket reused? You don't have to have a coolant leak to have a blown gasket. These numbers are weird, so I'm throwing out a weird response.

Last edited by VashTheStampede; 02-21-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
I must say that it does not make a lot of sense to me that this engine has clean and dry plugs and runs perfectly fine with these compression numbers and leak down results. It seems your testing methods are sound.

Tell me folks, when there is liner damage, does oil typically get into the combustion chamber through the rings? If so, shouldn't OP be seeing oily plugs and misfires?

I think your plan to have a look see with the scope is the best next step. The bore scope is an incredible tool.
When I have the plugs out later to look around in the cylinders, I'll post a pic of the plugs. They don't look bad.

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede
Woah woah woah.... This couldn't be a head gasket failure between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 would it? Was this car ever FI'd before, or had its HG replaced? If so, was the head torqued correctly or the old gasket reused? You don't have to have a coolant leak to have a blown gasket. These numbers are weird, so I'm throwing out a weird response.
As far as I know the car has never been boosted or had a head gasket changed. Everything engine/transmission has been very virgin (besides a cold air intake). Trust me, the thought of the head gasket leaking between cylinders 1-2-3 has also crossed my mind. Is it likely? No. Is is possible? Sure, anything is possible so I'm not ruling it out.

This is a really odd situation as everyone in this thread can see.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I would try it cold just to see what happens to the numbers. Adjust valves and recheck, my guess is tight valves.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 AM

Was the valve adjustment referenced in #6 post above done on a cold engine?

Last edited by rpg51; 02-21-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Yes the valve adjustment was performed after the car had sat overnight and most of the next day. The engine was cold.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:35 AM

I don't think it is tight valves. It will be interesting to see the bore scope images.

But - any one know whether oil would ordinarily be passing the rings into the combustion chamber if it has liner damage? See question above.

I remain baffled about how it is that this engine runs fine.

Last edited by rpg51; 02-21-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Yes
Old 02-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Bent valves. They don't seat, causing high leak down. This would otherwise show no oil residue on spark plugs. I would expect to see some irregularity on plugs though, showing signs of higher combustion temps, blistering or white crust on plugs to some amount.

Quick Reply: Odd Compression Test Results