S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Official Found a Rattle Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My S2000 has 2 distinct "rattles". The first being at around 4000-5000rpm, somewhere in the middle of the car. I'm thinking it's something to do with the Cat or heat shield (really hoping it's the heat shield). The second is new, rear suspension, sounds like a creaking at tight cornering at low speeds. Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 PM

I've had my AP1 a little over a year now and I am starting to get this very annoying rattle from the driver side window when I go over rough surfaces. It sounds like glass vibrating off of metal. Man is it annoying not to mention a little scary 'cause I'd hate to shatter that glass while embarrassing the guy in the suped up "whatever" wanting to race... J/K, but seriously, its very annoying. I can't seem to identify it cause it only happens at highway speeds. Has anyone else ever encountered this?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 AM

I have a rattle coming from under the hood it sounds like its coming from a pulley but im not sure... it happens when im idling it comes and goes.... but goes away while i drive i dont understand it!! anyone else have this problem??
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 AM

I summarized this post and included a few others for myself last night. Thought I would include it here, hope it's helpful:

spare tire nut

The license plate light- the clear lense fits loosely and rattles with the sub. All you have to do is unclip it and add a few strips of electrical tape to the back to make it fit snug.

Soft or hardtop front latch rattle. Dental pick + foam in the sides of the latch.

The little trim piece around the base of the rear view mirror is very loud for its size. Felt tape fixes it.

- the dome light cover rattles at 4500 rpm

small plastic piece near the hood latch is loose

top tray rattles with top up (top tray is where the convertible top sits in when the top is down. It's the big tray behind the seats.) Mine rattled at the edges where it wraps around and comes forward. I stuffed some spongy foam stuff in there and now it's fine.

Exhaust manifold head shields!!
loose coil pack bolts...

nobody mentioned the metal plate that allows access to your fuel pump! that will give you a nasty buzz! just removing it and adding some foam in between the two metal pieces will make it go away.

Also the Rattle in the Roof catch above the front window can be solved with by removing the whole flippy catch thing, running a bead of sealant between the plastic liner and the catch which slides around and vibrates to make that annoying sound... and reinstall the catch. No more rattles.... EVER! Also the Rattle in the Roof catch above the front window can be solved with by removing the whole flippy catch thing, running a bead of sealant between the plastic liner and the catch which slides around and vibrates to make that annoying sound... and reinstall the catch. No more rattles.... EVER!

I FOUND THE TRUNK RATTLE - at least I found my trunk rattle, and it's not coming from the trunk. The ends of the horizontal plastic bar, at the bottom of the glass rear window are rubbing against the fabric of the top. I glued small 1" pieces of black leather to the fabric where the ends were rubbing. Viola! my rattles are finally all gone - except the right latch is squeaking, but hopefully the dealer will sort that out next service. Hope this works for you.

front hardtop latch rattle put spongy foam tape in between the latch and where it bolts down. on the same area as the screws for the latches but more toward the release button area. if you grab the latch, you can move it up and down slightly and it can make a noise when it does this over bumps, the foam cushions this. noise gone!

also put brake bleeder screw rubber caps over the nipple looking things on the front latches, there the nipples touch the strikers. and some felt tape where the hooks grab the stickers. on the striker side. removed 2 latch shims also before all this. all in all it helped a lot with the hardtop rattling over rough roads. where it sounded like the hardtop was loose. now it's solid.

While driving over non-smooth roads I would hear a high pitched squeaky rattle top up OR down which sounded like it was coming from the top of the windshield. I messed around with the latches, tightened the visor screws to no avail. It turns out the rattling I was hearing from inside the car was actually the hood latch, which when closed wasn't quite tight enough to stay stationary. As a test/temporary fix, I wrapped a bit of gaffer's tape around the hood latch piece where it locks into the latch, and all the rattling went away. Car is silent and rock solid now, like brand new. I'll work out a more permanent fix later.

had a rattle that would be noticable going over bumps and at higher speeds. found that a plastic plug-in bolt was missing in the black plastic shrouding under the car between the passenger door and the front wheel well. honda service had the part. i'm a happy guy.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/372...rattle-fixdiy/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/219...icking__st__25
-----------------
NOW, if someone could only post a STICKY written just like this on how to stop the clicking noise from the soft top rack(over the drivers left ear) when the roof is up. I'd buy that for a dollar.

That rattle is an easy fix also.
It is coming from the plastic cover on the hinge. Take the plastic cover off (one phillips head screw) and insulate the plastic from the hinge. You can use any type of thin foam. Put the plastic cover back on and tighten down the screw.
All Done.
--------------------
When it was mentioned that this is a 2-part fix... is the shin etsu just for the rubber seals?

Or does this have to be applied to the latches directly as well, in addition to the ept sealant?

shin-etsu is for the rubber..
lithium grease is for the mechanical joints
ept sealant is for the latches
-----------------------
SOLUTION: Open the drivers door, take off the bolt cover on the side of the dash. Do bolt up.
It sounds ridiculous, but chasing down a rattle can take forever!
-------------------------
This fixed mine too cheers - had noticed a lot of flex from the dash at that side The other thing that was loose was the drivers side A pillar trim - took it off and put some foam around the clip holes, all good again.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 AM

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie, in fact just picked up the car today. So as one would do, I have spent the last few hours polishing and buffing my s2k in the comfort of my garage. My garage is quiet and while I was cleaning, I could hear a strange noise - low volume, sounds like a ship's horn when its about to set sail, and at regular 3-4 minutes interval. It seems to be coming from under the car in the middle! And the stangest thing is the car is stationary, with no key in ignition and no alarm on etc, with all doors, boot and bonnet shut properly and it has been sitting in garage for a few hours, therefore engine is cold etc.

NOW, can anyone speculate on what migh be causing this, or is there something worng with the car?

Cheers

Matt
Old 06-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found and fixed a top latch rattle. My rattle was the actual button you press to release the latch. I simple removed the 2 screws that holds it in place and the slightly bent one of the washers so that it compressed the latch more. Worded perfectly, was free, and only took 2 min once i found the rattle!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:19 PM

when i back up from a dead stop the rear shivers and shutters, it almost feels like your backing up when its wet and the wheels keep slipping, but its not wet and the wheels aren't slipping. anyone have a clue what this may be? thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by TrackStar
Originally Posted by Nickamsweet,Nov 4 2009, 03:22 PM
- When i turn hard left to right and vice versa sounds like a ball bearing is going across my dash
I have a similar sound but it sounds like it's inside one of the bars of the soft top frame.

I had this too. I removed the plug on the soft top support rail on drivers side. Drive in a circle till it comes out. I had a piece of a rivet in mine. GONE now...
Old 08-07-2011, 04:49 AM

someone know about this rattle noise??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXmkLebpd78

i need to know what i am dealing with XD
Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 PM

check your valves, make sure their are adjusted